Railroad Forums 

• Fredrick Douglass Tunnel (Replacement of the Baltimore and Potomac B&P Tunnel)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1600309  by west point

This work at end of the future tunnel bores is needed because all tunnel work except the ventilation shafts operate from this end. TBMs will start from this end. As wll all spoil removal and finishing of the runnwl bores materials will stage from this end. If I rememberit this construction includes a manual switch for dirt trains to go dump where ever. As well hopefully no dirty dirt will be found. Construction materials inbound will also use the siding(s).

This work seems to be on present or purchased land. In the meantime Amtrakfinish acquiring all additional realestate needed and whatever permits are required.
 #1611650  by STrRedWolf

https://www.railwayage.com/mw/amtrak-ey ... t-program/
Amtrak on Dec. 5 reported that it will seek a “Delivery Partner” for replacement of the nearly 150-year-old Baltimore & Potomac (B&P) tunnel in Baltimore, Md.

The Delivery Partner model, “America’s Railroad” said, involves a private partner taking on “substantial risk-sharing, impacting overall project outcomes.”...

According to Amtrak, more than 24 companies responded to its recent Request for Information (RFI) that invited feedback on the Delivery Partner model. This demonstrates “a significant appetite for a private partner with ‘skin in the game’ to ensure a successful project delivery,” Amtrak Vice President, Program Development and Project Services Tony Ryan said. “Timely advancement of this program is critical as we work to modernize and transform the Northeast Corridor, reducing delays and adding capacity for the future.”

Solicitation for the Delivery Partner is expected to launch in January 2023.
 #1614692  by STrRedWolf

Biden to visit B&P Tunnel to talk about it's replacement

And to think traffic in Baltimore couldn't get any worse. (No, car traffic, not train traffic)

As an aside: From the posted-by-local-DOT listing, he'll be under the Howard Street bridge with the north B&P tunnel opening as a backdrop.
 #1614693  by Gilbert B Norman

And everyone, guess where Joe plans to be tomorrow?

At the portal of the Hudson River tunnels to promote the groundbreaking (whenever that may be).

Naturally, he will fly on Marine or Air Force One. His next train ride will be after he leaves office.

Finally, I've looked through the IIJA21 to find where this Act actually APPROPRIATES funds as distinct from "AUTHORIZES to Appropriate". Any help, anyone?
 #1614701  by STrRedWolf

Had it be done, they would be doing a rolling shut-down of the NEC between Wilmington, DE to Baltimore, MD with various ground-stops at airports near the NEC... in other words, expensive to secure.

Meanwhile Marine Force 1 can have support choppers, and it's relatively less expensive.

Biden would be arriving at 1:25 PM to Ft. McHenry and then take Ye Presidental Limo over I-95, I-395, and various Baltimore roads, to under a bridge (which will probably be closed during remarks). Afterwards said limo will gun down I-95 to the White House. Should be all clear after 4PM Eastern.
 #1614705  by Ken W2KB

Not just trains stopped, every vehicular overpass and underpass must have traffic stopped well in advance of the train, concern being explosives in a land vehicle detonated as the train passes above or below the road bridge. >>" support choppers"<< a primary purpose of which is to have several aircraft in a flying formation so someone on the ground would not know which aircraft to fire upon and thus reduce the probability of an attack hitting the presidential chopper. Indeed, very complex and expensive to secure rail travel, as well as disruptive to the public.
 #1614707  by Ken W2KB

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:48 am And everyone, guess where Joe plans to be tomorrow?

At the portal of the Hudson River tunnels to promote the groundbreaking (whenever that may be).

Naturally, he will fly on Marine or Air Force One. His next train ride will be after he leaves office.

Finally, I've looked through the IIJA21 to find where this Act actually APPROPRIATES funds as distinct from "AUTHORIZES to Appropriate". Any help, anyone?
The details of the Temporary Flight Restriction with times in various locations in the relevant New York City / New Jersey area for the tunnel ceremony can be viewed here: https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_3_8212.html
 #1614710  by Gilbert B Norman

First, there does not appear any live coverage of the Baltimore event on any of the news channels.

Secondly, thank you Mr. Brown, for sharing that NOTAM with the Forum. It appears that when Joe comes town, General Aviation is simply shut down.

This reminds me on an '09 experience flying KBOS to KACK on a Cape Air Cessna 402 on a day that President Obama was on Martha's Vineyard. Instead of flying direct to VOR ACK or about a heading of 135, we flew direct on a heading of about 90 to VOR LFV (near Provincetown), thence a heading of about 170 to VOR ACK.

After the flight, I asked the Pilot about the obvious diversion (at least to me). He said "close as we get to The Vineyard; Obama's there".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1614712  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:09 pm First, there does not appear any live coverage of the Baltimore event on any of the news channels.

Secondly, thank you Mr. Brown, for sharing that NOTAM with the Forum. It appears that when Joe comes town, General Aviation is simply shut down.

This reminds me on an '09 experience flying KBOS to KACK on a Cape Air Cessna 402 on a day that President Obama was on Martha's Vineyard. Instead of flying direct to VOR ACK or about a heading of about 135, we flew direct on a heading of about 90 to VOR PTN
Nothing on the local as well, so I bet they'll probably film it and hold it for the evening news.
 #1614717  by STrRedWolf

CNN has it live. No local...

Edit 2:55pm Eastern: Or had it. Looks like there's going to be more remarks about this and I didn't catch the start of the speech.

White House Youtube is filing in the gap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgUDsisB5V0
 #1614721  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:05 pm Is that an ACS-64 in a new livery I see, Mr. Wolf?
Yes, but it's on the connector track to Light Rail/NS track, so you probably have a P42 there as well. They also have the Acela 2 next to folks.

Still, I didn't hear anything explicitly new, so I'll have to get a transcript of the remarks. Sounds more like it has the President's backing, which given Amtrak Joe, is a thing. Don't know how much it would be worth...