Railroad Forums 

• The East Side Access Project Discussion (ESA)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1614656  by jhdeasy

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:50 pm
When we came aboard several decades ago, the LIRR didn't have a dime. The Superintendent scoured the Railway Equipment Journal for other road's junk rolling stock to buy so we could run summer service. We'd buy it, paint the inside and send it to Montauk with Pullman chairs we bought for $50 each. And we were converting old MUs to run a diesel fleet.

The new Grand Central Station's art budget is bigger than the equipment budget for the World's Fair Zip Cars.
A very interesting anecdote, comparing the cost of the new artwork at GC Madison to the cost of the fleet of MP-75 cars purchased for 1964-1965 NY World’s Fair service.

As for the second hand equipment purchased by LIRR in the mid thru late 1960s, most of that was more comfortable and in better condition than the railroad’s older (pre P72) diesel hauled cars.
 #1614669  by Head-end View

scoostraw wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:43 am
Head-end View wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:47 pm I am truly angry that I will probably never get a front window ride thru this tunnel. Hopefully someone with access will get a cab-ride video and post it on YouTube at some point .

Link: https://youtu.be/YWehoGfBfSk
Great video. Exactly what I hoped for. Thanks for posting!
 #1614674  by lpetrich

I can't help but think that Grand Central Terminal's name is now less of an anachronism. Its upper track level was originally for intercity trains, and its lower level for commuter trains, though Metro-North now uses both levels. Amtrak ran to GCT when it took over most intercity trains in 1971, and continued doing so until 1991, when it shifted its upstate-New-York trains to Penn Station, running them on the West Side Line from the Hudson Line to Penn Station.

Someone ought to do for GCT something like this: 3D Models — Project Subway NYC -- 3D models of some NYC subway-train stations
 #1614803  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - After (almost) one week of LIRR service to Grand Central (Madison) the vast majority of the reaction
to the new station looks to be positive...Good to read opinions from LIRR Forum members posted here...

From 1/24 - A News 12 Long Island report on the MTA announcement of the opening of Grand Central:
https://longisland.news12.com/mta-annou ... -wednesday
This was one of the first news reports after the MTA made the 1/25 GC opening date public...

The Winter/Spring of 2023 is now going to go down in memory with the opening of Grand Central (Madison);
The full completion of all construction (ROW and station work) of the Main Line Third Track Project - and
most significantly the new LIRR schedule changes going into effect - Prediction: Monday March 13, 2023

I started posting the word "COMPLETED!!!" in the ESA topic with my posts remembering the LIRR timetable
covers of Ronkonkoma Branch schedules issued at completion of the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification
Project - the interim December 27, 1987 and full service January 18, 1988 in particular with that one word
highlighted on the cover(s) - hard to believe that is 35 years ago now...The same thought is relevant for ESA...
MACTRAXX
 #1614832  by JamesRR

Just walked through the new facility at GCT for the first time tonight. Really impressive scale. I came in from the lower level (dining concourse) of GCT. The Madison concourse is huge, running from 43rd to 48th Street. 4 massive escalator banks spread throughout to shuttle people down to the track mezzanine. I watched the 5:19 leave for Jamaica. It was PACKED. Obviously they're only running once an hour but it was still full.

I came back to the Madison concourse and went up to 48th Street, as far as it goes but there was only an elevator out. I took a flight of stairs at 47th and found myself in the Grand Central North cross-passageway, and ultimately went up a flight to a track on the upper level and walked back to the headhouse.

Despite the various and long escalator rides down, I think this station will be really popular just judging by the amount of people who've already found it. Curious to see the updated timetables.
 #1614835  by JamesRR

MattAmity90 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:24 am After seeing photos of the new station, it looks like something out of the Jetsons. It's so clean, and they have these supports in the middle that apparently light up that are in alignment with the street below (ex. 46th Street). Aside from the Solari signs for the Upper (201-204) and Lower (301-304) and directional signs, do the platforms have the traditional platform signs that have the station name, in this case "Grand Central Madison," below a blue pinstripe just like the rest of the railroad?
You know, I was down on the platform watching a train leave tonight and didn't even notice if there were GCT signs at all. Nothing on the outer walls, and there isn't much 'structure' on the platforms to place signs. I will say that all signage is in the serif typeface that is used throughout all of GCT - they really stuck to that aesthetic. Even the concourses have the marble that echoes the large terminal building.
 #1614916  by MattAmity90

JamesRR wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:35 pm
MattAmity90 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:24 am After seeing photos of the new station, it looks like something out of the Jetsons. It's so clean, and they have these supports in the middle that apparently light up that are in alignment with the street below (ex. 46th Street). Aside from the Solari signs for the Upper (201-204) and Lower (301-304) and directional signs, do the platforms have the traditional platform signs that have the station name, in this case "Grand Central Madison," below a blue pinstripe just like the rest of the railroad?
You know, I was down on the platform watching a train leave tonight and didn't even notice if there were GCT signs at all. Nothing on the outer walls, and there isn't much 'structure' on the platforms to place signs. I will say that all signage is in the serif typeface that is used throughout all of GCT - they really stuck to that aesthetic. Even the concourses have the marble that echoes the large terminal building.
I love the fact that they kept it aesthetically pleasing by keeping the theme. It's that way throughout the entire terminal, well except for the MNRR platforms which could use some sprucing up. Actually, in YouTube videos where you are on board looking out the RFW of a M3a, there are no platform signs that say "Grand Central Terminal" on the 100 Track level (MNRR Tracks). I know tracks 301-304 are in service, but I haven't seen pictures of trains on tracks 201-204.
 #1614934  by MattAmity90

According to CBS News, they found a typo etched into the wall. A 1928 quote by author Georgia O'Keeffe has the author's name misspelled with it being spelled with only one "F" instead of two. The MTA emailed CBS News, "We clearly F-ed up on this one, and it's being fixed."
 #1615507  by gamer4616

I'm hearing a full opening date of 2/27/23 for Grand Central Madison. Although the dates have changed (12/5, then 12/19, etc...), this seems to be the real deal. Train crews have begun the trimming process in anticipation of the new crew book being implemented.

If this is the case, trains will be transitioning into the new manipulations on Friday 2/24.

The following trains will operate with 8 cars Friday 2/24;
150, 892, 896, 2868, 2878, and 1722

The following trains will operate with 10 cars Friday 2/24;
114, 194, 2070, 2088, 2090, 876, 1726

Monday 2/27– Canceled Grand Central a.m. trains:
2002, 202, 2702, 702, and 400

[edit]
Just after posting, it was officially announced 2/27 is the full opening.

Full Schedules are posted here:
https://new.mta.info/agency/long-island ... timetables

[end of edit]
 #1615529  by MACTRAXX

Gamer - THANK YOU for the notification about the MTA release of the new February 27, 2023 LIRR timetables
for full service to Grand Central...I downloaded the full set to my device and will mention that there is so much
in the way of service changes for the entire LIRR this subject deserves to be separated into its own topic...

If there are not any complications that will delay this introductory date February 27, 2023 will be one to
remember for some of the most significant timetable changes in LIRR history effective on that day...

Full service to Grand Central is just 20 days or 2 1/2 weeks away as of 2/8...MACTRAXX
 #1615530  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - The MTA and LIRR announced today 2/8 that FULL service to Grand Central Madison will begin on
Monday February 27, 2023 - the new PDF timetables are available here (at bottom of page):
https://new.mta.info/agency/long-island ... timetables
The format used continues the LIRR's own Branch timetables - not the MNCR type on last year's draft schedules.
That discussion was "LIRR timetables with ESA added" proposed-lirr-schedule-with-esa-added-t174311.html

These major changes system wide deserve to be discussed separately outside of the ongoing ESA topic being
that they are some of the most significant in LIRR history...

For starters the single City Terminal Zone Branch Timetable has been split up four ways:
Jamaica to Penn Station
Jamaica to Grand Central
Kew Gardens and Forest Hills service
Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal and Hunterspoint Avenue - Long Island City

Another example: The Ronkonkoma Branch will for the first time have base half hourly service seven days a week -
trains will be divided for the most part evenly between Penn Station and Grand Central...

This looks to be a very interesting subject with a lively meantime discussion...MACTRAXX
 #1615539  by R36 Combine Coach

One item to note is that Port Washington Branch trains will no longer stop at Willets Point (except game days
and certain events and concerts).

There is no overnight LIRR service at GCT between 2 and 5:45 AM.