Railroad Forums 

• What was Altoona Rose yard under 8th Street Bridge?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1606106  by carajul

Cruising the historic arial maps they NS "Rose" Yard where the loco shops are. Until the early 90s there was a huge yard that occupied the entire area under the 8th St bridge. Can anyone give me a history of this yard and why CR ripped it all up? Today it's just trees and grass. I cannot believe how big it was back in the day.
 #1614665  by 2nd trick op

At one time (c.1915) Altoona was home to no less than about fifteen continuously-manned interlocking plants. These included (on the main line, and in sequence) GRAY, BELL ANTIS, FURNACE, ALTO. and SLOPE. Even more were located on what were referenced in the Employees Timetables as the Antis-Alto Secondary Tracks, and included FARM, BRUSH, ROSE, SCALE, WORKS and SOUTH (These probably operated under "yard rules" -- no train order authority except WOTKS, which served both the Main and Secondaries
 #1614668  by 2nd trick op

At one time (c.1915) Altoona was home to no less than about fifteen continuously-manned interlocking plants. These included (on the main line, and in sequence) BELL, ANTIS, FURNACE, ALTO, and SLOPE. Even more were located on what were referenced in the Employees Timetables as the Antis-Alto Secondary Tracks, and included FARM, BRUSH, ROSE, SCALE, WORKS and SOUTH (These probably operated under "yard rules" -- no train order authority except WORKS, which served both the Main and Secondaries.

When I discovered these treasures as a Penn State freshman (1968) only ROSE and SOUTH were still operating on the Secondaries, and the entire operation was drastically cut back not long afterward, but a very accurate description (maps included) survives in the Minutes of something which was called the Altoona Railroad Club (same era -- c.1915) and which are preserved at Penn State's Pattee Library