Railroad Forums 

• The East Side Access Project Discussion (ESA)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1614471  by MattAmity90

My buddy Edward Hand had the GOLDEN TICKET that all the passengers of the first revenue train from Jamaica to GCT or GCM received. I actually have a first revenue M1 patch that they gave my late grandfather when he got on at Bellmore on Train #93 on December 30th, 1968.

After seeing photos of the new station, it looks like something out of the Jetsons. It's so clean, and they have these supports in the middle that apparently light up that are in alignment with the street below (ex. 46th Street). Aside from the Solari signs for the Upper (201-204) and Lower (301-304) and directional signs, do the platforms have the traditional platform signs that have the station name, in this case "Grand Central Madison," below a blue pinstripe just like the rest of the railroad?

As far as my posts go, the construction aspect has me in a mental block. Aside from decorate additions to the remaining stations along the Main Line, with the Ronkonkoma Branch fully double-tracked, and ESA completed and in service, there is nothing else I can think of! Although service to GCT/GCM is completed (only from Jamaica), they still have to build a Sunnyside Yard station between GCT/GCM and Woodside if they are going to.

All that's left for me to do is take a plane from Myrtle Beach to JFK and ride it myself! If I had stayed in PA a little longer you know I would have been in on it.

My friend Edward I just found out has been a train buff for 50 years, but he said this project was overdue by 50 years since it was proposed in the 60's. I've been a buff for essentially all 32 years of my life, and I can't wait.
 #1614493  by Jeff Smith

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:00 am
workextra wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:44 am At last.
Wow, did that gal ever have a voice!!!!
Etta had some set of pipes indeed!

I've written an article on my experience yesterday at Grand Central Madison. Hope you enjoy!

news/grand-central-madison-opens-east-s ... -hall.html
 #1614499  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - After a absence from the LIRR Forum of over a month (last log-in was on 1/3) I am among those that are glad to see that the East Side Access Project is now completed and open to LIRR riders - I will third GBN and JS on the thought of "At Last" as sung by Etta James for this noteable Grand Opening...

The interim GC schedule as implemented by the LIRR is the right thing to do in this initial period...

I believe that there is less AM and PM Peak hour service because of how these trains are inserted into the current schedule using precise available slots over the busy Main Line between Jamaica and Harold... There is enough M7 and M9 MU cars for all service as it is currently scheduled - with the full new GC schedule implementation in the coming weeks all of the remaining 100 M3 cars should be placed back into service to cover some Penn Station and Atlantic Terminal trains since they are not permitted into GC.

Jeff Smith's overview is just the latest of many videos and photos available of Grand Central Madison from various sources - as I correctly thought there would be good coverage of the opening day(s) of this venue... Search in Youtube "LIRR Grand Central opening 1/25/2023" for posted videos as example...

I believe that this interim schedule will be in effect for a period of about ***SIX WEEKS*** which will take the implementation of full service to ***Monday March 13*** which will get the new GC timetable changes past February-which can be the snowiest month of the year in the NYC region-and to the start of Daylight Saving Time (begins Sunday 3/12) - and on a traditional standpoint the LIRR has made schedule changes in March for the beginning of Spring in the past - expect the first revisions with the Summer timetable on
Monday May 22, 2023 going forward...

Six weeks should allow adequate time for LIRR employees and patrons to get used to the GC facilities and infrastructure and allow changes to be made and any unseen problems anyplace to be corrected before full service begins - and allow decent lead time in advance for those upcoming schedules to be unveiled by the LIRR and MTA...These new schedules are nothing to be taken lightly being that this service will be some of the most significant changes in the entire history of the LIRR...

The milestone of the opening of Grand Central completing the East Side Access Project is right up there with the opening of Penn Station 113 years ago in terms of importance in LIRR history...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1614513  by MACTRAXX

CJ - In one word NO...The M3 cars are not permitted into GC...
The remaining 100 M3 cars are NOT being phased out - they are to be fully placed back in service with the new schedules that are going to take effect in the coming weeks (note my post above) in Penn Station and Atlantic Terminal service - There are 80 cars with PTC that can lead and 20 without that are in trains...MACTRAXX
 #1614575  by Head-end View

I think we might have covered this before, but maybe you guys can refresh me: What's the reason the M3's are not permitted in Grand Central? Is there an operational reason or just politics of having the newer equipment run the new service?
 #1614608  by jhdeasy

commuterjoe wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:18 pm Thanks for the info. I did, however, find a head end view (going eastbound) made by Retired Railfan Horn Guy on You Tube. It's an interesting video.
I enjoyed watching that video yesterday.

I noticed some sections of third rail near the new terminal appear to be without a protective cover.

My other observation is that the total length of tunnel between GCT platforms and Harold/Sunnyside seems shorter than I expected.
 #1614619  by scoostraw

Head-end View wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:39 pm I think we might have covered this before, but maybe you guys can refresh me: What's the reason the M3's are not permitted in Grand Central? Is there an operational reason or just politics of having the newer equipment run the new service?
I think it's because the M3s do not have sufficient power for the tunnel grades.
 #1614620  by workextra

The official reason is the M3 fleet was not rebuilt with the ESA cab signal aspects on their ADU if they run into ESA they will detect a no code condition and display a restricting aspect the whole way.
The m3 will make the grades but officially have never been tested there.
Thanks to the modern day operating requirements you will never see the M3 in GCM.
 #1614624  by Head-end View

I took my first ride to Grand Central yesterday. The station is very impressive and upbeat compared to Penn, but then over hundred years separates them.

A few interesting trivia items: The time thru the tunnel from portal to platform is about six minutes, roughly the same as to Penn Station. And you feel your ears pop in this tunnel too. I am truly angry that I will probably never get a front window ride thru this tunnel. Hopefully someone with access will get a cab-ride video and post it on YouTube at some point .

Re: the escalators, the figure quoted on the TV news of 1 minute, 38 seconds from top-to-bottom is correct. By comparison I also rode the Hudson Yards (#7 Train) escalator yesterday and found it is ten seconds shorter than at Grand Central. Interesting!

Also at Grand Central, there is not just one wide bank of escalators but actually FOUR such banks. One towards each end of the platform mezzanine and two more towards the middle. The whole complex appears very smartly designed for high passenger loads.

But if you are transferring from LIRR to the Lexington Subway (4,5,6 trains) it's a very long walk thru all underground corridors or up thru Grand Central's Food Court and the Station itself.

Overall, a very positive impression of the whole LIRR Station. A good sized bank of ticket windows, but the waiting area looked kind of small. Guess they assume not too many people will be waiting around. Lots of employees around to answer questions and give directions. And there is a good presence of MTA police officers in the complex and they have a station in the main corridor. Looking forward to going back again soon and checking it out some more. :-D
 #1614635  by Jeff Smith

The escalators didn't bother me at all. It game my calves time to recover lol. They could use a moving walkway in the long corridor from the lower level. The ride from platform to portal was generally smooth except for some turn radius squealing.