Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1614536  by JohnFromJersey

I believe it mentioned it as a route that had no height restrictions on it directly, and had no weight limits on it indirectly (the Southern has a direct height restriction due to a bridge somewhere in Tinton Falls, and an indirect weight restriction due to some NJT restrictions on the Coastline). This line has been abandoned for the better part of 30-40 years, so I seriously doubt that NJTPA was able to do extensive studies on this section of track, especially with the overgrowth.

There are some bridges on the Southern and FIT that are about as old as that bridge by Gold's Lumber, and they can support current trains + more, so that bridge should be fine?
 #1614542  by Bracdude181

The current bridge can handle Plate F, yes. The new bridge I believe will also be good for Plate F. However, the track north of the RR Bridge has several spots that are not tall enough to except Plate F. Mainly the roads over Perth Amboy Station and a few spots north of there.

Even if the new bridge is Plate F, it’s not gonna matter if the rest of the route is only good for Plate E or whatever it actually is.

You can bring Plate F in through Monmouth Junction on the NEC no problem, but I’m not sure if the route past Metuchen is good for 286k. NJTPA says it’s not…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1614547  by Bracdude181

Yes it is. Especially in Woodhavens case. Getting rid of the restrictions means they can put 23,000 pounds more lumber in each centerbeam, meaning more products delivered on a shorter train which saves them money. In addition, only paying for the cars to go from WOOD to ESSAY on the Coast Line instead of WOOD to ESSAY then from RARE (I think that’s the name? Starts with R) to BANK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1614561  by CharlieL

The current raritan bridge has catenarys too low for plate "f" and they cannot be raised enough to support it. Between the bridge and Jamesburg there are no obstructions to the height, ditto Jamesburg to Lakewood. It is my understanding the new bridge will not have the same height restrictions. Also supposedly will support 286k car weight.