Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1614457  by Blackseal Jim

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:25 am It is a shame that Pine Creek hasn't ran steam in a while. Last time I was there, I was told that they haven't run a steam train since the 2000's. Their steam locomotives need some hefty work, and steam isn't cheap to maintain.

Also, I passed by Fairfield tonight/last night (considering I am posting this at 1:30AM...), and they have reached beyond Fairfield Rd.
Last time Pine Creek ran steam was 1/1/2002. I was fireman that day . The 26 really isn't that bad . It has a thin spot around the fusible plug and needs a complete UT of the firebox. That's it . Work to return the 26 to service was never done due to the fact that NJMT didn't own it and all focus was turned onto the #46 which still isn't complete. NJ boiler laws are not a hassle and they don't require boiler's to be torn down every 5 years. I'm a NJ licensed state boiler operator.
Jim H
 #1614519  by JohnFromJersey

Video of today's train at Asbury Rd:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UZPD7vIoqco

I also stopped by Fairfield Rd today. Significant progress has been made past Fairfield Rd! I almost thought they were at Squankum Rd with how clear it looked from Fairfield. Swung over to Fairfield, and alas, they haven't made it there yet.

Also, I saw a construction crew unloading an excavator by the tracks at the former Gold's Lumber. I wonder what they are doing...
 #1614520  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:08 pm Agreed. This project is gonna help the Southern a lot. Way less NJT fees for one thing. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will also allow for much more frequent service with heavier cars. I believe once the new Raritan River Bridge is complete, that will allow for Plate F/taller cars as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe Brick Recycling will start getting cars again!