Railroad Forums 

• Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad (HOBO, Winnipesaukee Scenic)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1614260  by Who

NHV 669 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:54 am What, exactly would they bring people to see? How exactly, would they market such a ride? Theyre not even close to Loon Mtn. or parking, but they're already on the business end of town to begin with.
I never mentioned anything about a shuttle service, in fact I stated the opposite. The Conway Scenic trains have turned into winter train rides, more than they have shuttles. So, if the Conway Scenic and the Cog Railway can offer winter train rides, why shouldn't the Hobo Railroad join in?
 #1614290  by NHV 669

I wasn't quite suggesting such, given the reasons I pointed out. Simply asking what the actual marketed route would be; Conway Scenic has the convenience of connecting two ski areas and condo/rental heavy areas.

Remember, the entire route south of Lincoln on the P&L down towards NEGS becomes a Snowmobile corridor in the winter as well. That's probably a major factor.
 #1614299  by b&m 1566

The state does have a history (albeit new) of bumping a snowmobile corridor from their train tracks, they did it with the Conway Scenic, the entire corridor from Bartlett to N. Conway, used to be part of the corridor that goes west of Bartlett to Swayers River. The whole Bartlett to Swayers River circle, via Bear Notch Rd, is now disconnected from the rest of the snowmobile trails in the state.
 #1614355  by Who

Marketed route? Whatever they want to market the train as but that wasn't the point I was getting at. I was pointing out the fact that the Cog Railway and the Conway Scenic took a shot at winter service and it has turn out to be a good decision for both. The Conway Scenic had started out offering a shuttle service to and from Attitash, this year they seem to have shifted away from that and are marketing the train as a regular excursion with the opportunity to stay at Attitash and board a later train, the Cog Railway is also an excursion that brings you up about halfway, where you can step out and take in the views before getting back on the train for the return trip. I'd expect that if the Hobo started to offer excursions during the winter, they would probably see a similar level of success. So, should the Hobo Railroad, continue to stay silent during the winter or should they give the winter service a shot?
 #1614379  by elecuyer

Add the WW&F to your list of New England heritage railroads now offering regular excursions in the winter. These trains are well patronized.

www.wwfry.org/winter

While it requires significant effort to operate during the winter months, the ridership is generally worth it.
 #1614440  by shadyjay

The Hobo could make a mid winter train work if they did something in addition to the train ride. Some tourist railroads have events on the train. Others take you to a destination where you can hang out for XX minutes before returning. How about taking the train to the endpoint (Jack O'Lantern golf course?) and do a smores/bonfire thing like what they do up at the Cog or at the WW&F? Something like that might work, and the Lincoln area has enough people passing through where it might work. Their subsidiary down in the Lakes Region, maybe not so much, as I'm assuming the area around Lake Winnipesaukee isn't too happening in the winter. But with the mountains in the area of Lincoln, it could be possible.

Then again, winter is prime time for maintenance work, and depending on staffing levels, work, etc, they may chose to spend the time working on their equipment, vs attempting something new to attract a new market, which may or may not turn a profit.
 #1614541  by b&m 1566

Definitely not the Winnipesaukee Scenic. Outside of Gunstock Mt skiing, the Lakes Region is a ghost region, very seasonal. Meridith might have a pulse with pond hockey tournaments and ice fishing, but it's not enough to fire up a whole train. The Lincoln/N. Woodstock area (just like N. Conway), is much more adapt to year round tourism.
 #1614544  by NHV 669

Which was my point above; the issue being that the train is already based where all the business is in the area, so they would have to market something beyond just "come ride a 10mph train in the snow that doesn't specifically go anywhere".
 #1614550  by ConwayScenic252

My idea was to run a shuttle from Plymouth to Lincoln, two engines on each side, and run it up right to the visitor center crossing, since there is a Loon Mountain shuttle bus that loads there. That way, people could get out and walk around town or board the shuttle to Loon. Probably only two or three trips a day, one reserving for a single return trip.
That way people won't have to park their car in Lincoln, as we know that can be busy, and I think the shuttle one-way could take an hour and a half.
Maybe a 8:00am and a 3:30pm
 #1614557  by b&m 1566

There is not a snowballs chance a shuttle train to and from Plymouth, would ever be lucrative, they don't even offer regular excursions down to Plymouth during the busy summer and fall seasons.
 #1614605  by NHV 669

Why would you need four locomotives? They would only be pulling a few cars....

It's a good 20+miles each way at 10 or so mph, that's more like 2 hours per trip, including boarding, etc. How do you offer multiple trips if it takes 4+ hours to cycle a trainset under optimal conditions? You're already involving more of a staff need than they probably carry during the season.

It's far easier and cheaper to drive such a short distance, and less of a headache too. You don't have to swap transportation modes, and parking in Lincoln isn't terribly hard.

Other than college kids who would also likely prefer to drive, I can't see what kind of market such a trip would be aimed at. Locals would definitely prefer to go by car.
 #1614804  by ConwayScenic252

NHV 669 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:34 am Why would you need four locomotives? They would only be pulling a few cars....
I meant one engine on each side, my bad.
It's not like my idea is good and going to work or go anywhere, just was scrolling and found the topic and decided to chime in. But if i'm just going to be critiqued (which makes sense seeming my idea was bad) I will just shut up for now.