Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#1595508  by jwhite07

That's fantastic about the Maine Central Model Railroad finding a new home at Seashore. My wife and I happened upon it once and did a quick U turn to check it out. "Buzz" had passed away by then, but Mrs. Beal was a lovely and gracious hostess and we enjoyed the visit and some small talk.
 #1602429  by jbvb

I believe Mrs. Beal was involved in the selection process but the disassembly and move were done by professionals.

Northampton Station is a conundrum. We repainted the girders it's on a couple of years ago, but the original idea of building a bit of Elevated to bring rapid transit cars to it needs serious money: We'd have to significantly rearrange our campus track layout, cross a wetland, provide an elevator for handicapped access etc. Plus we've at least a half-dozen different rapid-transit car widths and more than one floor height to handle at any platform. I'd guess "status quo with maintenance until a multi-millionaire appears".
 #1609100  by jbvb

The November Trustees meeting is a little more than 2 weeks away, and I am not aware of a formal proposal to acquire 01200 cars. A proposal would have to address how track to store them would be built, how transportation costs would be covered, and what funds would be contributed towards covered storage for them. I would be very concerned about floor condition, given how spongy many of them felt as much as 20 years ago. Also, a recent Globe article quotes the scrapper saying asbestos abatement is required before they can be cut up. Seashore already owns quite enough asbestos.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/09/12/ ... ne-trains/
 #1613349  by jbvb

The frame of the new South Boston Carbarn has been erected. Roof and sheathing should be complete by about the end of January. Electrical work will take another week or two. Seashore's Track Department will have plenty opportunities for volunteers building the connecting tracks once the ground dries out.

Foundation work for the Maine Central Model Railroad building is in progress.
 #1621185  by jbvb

Contractor Maine Track Maintenance worked on the South Boston II carbarn this week. Building the track inside went smoothly. The outside work was slower. They were able to move all the big pieces of rail we'd stored back to the site. They assembled the easterly track and its turnout. The first restraining rail joint was slow but they learned quickly. The middle track needs a couple of rail joints made up. The west track and its turnout are laid out on ties but not bolted up.

By my estimation, it went pretty well. Were I doing it again, I'd get 10" and 9" track bolts to reduce the use of washers - our 1950s reassembly used many washers to make 11" bolts fit. I'd also delay landscaping next to the tracks till after they're complete. But for this job, seeding the grass would have been delayed into the dry months.
 #1634980  by jbvb

Toronto Transit Commission CLRV #4068 arrived at Seashore Nov. 30 2023 and was unloaded Dec. 1. It's outdoors next to our Bus Display on special track built to simplify swapping trucks once a pair is re-gauged.

We expect the first streetcars to be stored in the new South Boston 2 carhouse in the next 7-10 days.

Our Bust Display area has been enlarged. More buses will be moved there in spring 2024.

Work has begun on a 40' x 60' garage to house our non-accessioned work vehicles, including our Pettibone Speed Swing and the Overhead Department's ex-NS bucket truck. One long bay will accommodate either our Pettibone MK-36 crane or a bus which needs indoor work.
 #1639636  by jbvb

The first cars were moved into the new South Boston 2 carbarn in late December. Most were "bugged" in under their own power, Nagasaki #134 was pushed by hand. There are presently 5 cars inside. This has also been the first winter that our work equipment has been protected: Claremont #4, GE 25 ton #150, Oshawa #300 and MTA #5106 are all indoors.

The first overhead wire reached the door of Track 3 last week. We're waiting on delivery of door bridges before wire can be extended into the building.