Railroad Forums 

• A Day of Infamy

• Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.
Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.

Moderators: David, CAR_FLOATER

#1425890  by mackdave

Well, hard to believe, it's 60 years ago today that the O&W shut down. I never saw it in operation, but spent quite a few days in Orangeburg climbing through the cabooses and HT-1 that used to be there. Ghosts of the past, just slowly fading away.....

Dave Mackay
 #1425935  by Cactus Jack

Thanks for noting the 60th Anniversary.

Sad day for O&W fans.
 #1612615  by Gilbert B Norman

TRAINS had quite a circa '57 piece that simply concluded that the Old Woman never had a chance.
 #1613845  by JoeCollege1

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:15 pm TRAINS had quite a circa '57 piece that simply concluded that the Old Woman never had a chance.
Sadly, she did not. But those of us, like Cactus Jack and I, who reside in her former empire. love her for what she did to boost prosperity in our area while she could, and the legacy she left behind. She's still talked about and missed in the hills and villages of Chenango County, New York.
 #1615344  by lvrr325

That's because it connected New York to nowhere. I've postulated elsewhere had they merged with the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensberg rather than that going to the Central, it might have put them on a decent foothold by giving a route not only to Buffalo but to Watertown and points north.

Either way, by today I am sure it would have been merged away to one of the major systems and much of it be gone, just the same.