Railroad Forums 

• Which Foreign Road Trains Routing into New York Penn Station by the FRA?

• Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1611992  by RandallW

pumpers wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:47 am 2. The 2 "horizontal" tracks coming in/out at the right side to go NY Penn Station I believe . The 2 diagonal ones below it, labelled "New York Div" and "to Ma"?? are westbound from Journal square I think (and PRR Exchange Place station on the Jersey City waterfront). But could "to Ma" mean "to Manhattan"? (which then wouldn't make sense to me).
I think that is "to Me", not "to Ma" (either way, it doesn't mean anything to me, but may to someone else).
 #1612041  by pumpers

Yes, I found this more modern diagram of DOCK interlocking (1960s??), which includes the area of the former Manhattan Transfer. https://www.redoveryellow.com/position- ... s/dock.gif
Note the similarities on the right side. It is indeed "to Me", for Meadows Yard. So both of those diagonal tracks on lower right are going to Meadows Yard I assume (freight traffic). The two horizontal tracks on lower right then are probably the H&M to Journal Square.
Maybe I have it right now
 #1612053  by ExCon90

On the enlarged schematic posted by pumpers at the bottom of page 1, the 2 "horizontal" tracks designated 1 and 4 lead straight to Penn Station. Westbound H&M trains and PRR steam trains from Jersey City crossed diagonally under the Penn Station tracks, the H&M trains going straight through to platform Track 7 and on to their Park Place station in Newark; PRR trains took the crossover just south of Interlocking Station "8" to platform on Track 4 and continue on the NY Division. The track coming off the eastbound main, designated "to Me(adows)" would probably have been used by steam engines which could move out immediately after being uncoupled and proceed to the engine terminal there. The track just south of it, apparently appearing out of nowhere, is the westbound H&M/PRR track from Journal Square. Of the two diagonal tracks at lower right, one of them. presumably the one with the signal (the left-hand track going east), is the eastbound H&M track, also used by PRR trains from platform Track 1 to Jersey City.

The New York volume of the multi-volume series (somebody help me with the name here -- something like "Heritage" but that isn't it) has a scale map of the whole layout, including the Newark passenger station before and after 1937, Journal Square, and much more.
 #1612054  by pumpers

THanks ExCon. Just the kind of info I was trying to figure out.
I still have a few loose ends in my mind. For one, I think but am not certain that PRR (e.g. steam passenger trains to Exchange Place) and the H&M must have each had their own tracks) east of Manhattan Transfer, since I don't think the H&M was built to mainline safety standards. But I could be wrong.
I bet the book you were referring to is "Triumph". Looking online, Volume V (Philadelphia to New York) costs north of $100. So I'll keep poking around on the internet!
Jim S
 #1612096  by ExCon90

First of all, Triumph is the name I was trying to remember. Some great material in there.

Just west of Journal Square, at "WALDO" interlocking (it had a 1- or 2-letter call sign in 1910), the H&M through tracks merged with the 2 PRR tracks from Jersey City, and H&M trains used those tracks until the split just east of Manhattan Transfer; PATH trains from World Trade Center to Newark use the same tracks today, except that they now run to Newark Penn Station instead of Park Place, as H&M trains did after the present Newark station was opened. Until the Jersey City station closed (1963?) those tracks were shared by H&M, PRR MP54's, and right until JC closed, PRR's The Broker to Bay Head Jct., pulled by K4's, and later Baldwin sharknoses. I think those tracks were conveyed to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey when it took over the whole H&M operation because someone had to and there wasn't anybody else willing and able -- sort of like Metra and IC Electric and the Rock Island in Chicago. Each H&M train had its own train number (every 10 minutes!) in the employee timetable, beginning with 0, and any train having an advertised connection with a PRR train to the west or south carried that train's number preceded by 0; in the 1960's the connection for the Broadway was train no. 029, for the Spirit of St. Louis was 031, etc. When cab signals were installed all H&M Newark trains had to have them.
 #1612103  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you, Mr. Pumpers, for locating the material relating to Manhattan Transfer. I've always wondered if the apparently still performing vocal ensemble using that name paid somebody for the rights to such - and for that matter if they even knew the origin of their group's name.

During the later '70's, before the Transfer became an NJT maintenance facility, it was home to (my guess) some one hundred NJT MU cars that could not be placed in revenue service. The apparent reason was that the electrification s projects on both the DL&W (EL) Morris & Essex and the PRR (NJT) NY&LB had not been completed.
 #1612141  by ExCon90

Something I've often wondered about, since I wasn't living In the area at the time, is how they managed the transition from 3000v DC to 25000v AC 60Hz on the Morris & Essex: impossible to do overnight, but how could they do it in stages?

What saves this from going OT is that the new cars, in keeping with DL&W practice, were equipped to display the train number on the right front side (in the direction of movement), and when the cars were used on the Corridor in the meantime, some conductors would display the proper NEC train number -- something not otherwise done on the PRR.
 #1612146  by pumpers

ExCon90 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:08 pm Something I've often wondered about, since I wasn't living In the area at the time, is how they managed the transition from 3000v DC to 25000v AC 60Hz on the Morris & Essex: impossible to do overnight, but how could they do it in stages?
I was living in California (previously in Summit on the M&E) for a few years and missed all the fun personally.
A short quote about the changeover on the P&D (Gladstone branch), but I assume it applied to the whole M&E:
https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_ ... /shs4a.htm
The last day of regular direct-current electric operation proved to be Friday, August 24, the final trains departing Hoboken for Gladstone at 7:20 p.m. and departing Hoboken for Dover at 7:30 p.m. Aboard the Gladstone train, Homer Hill, who had ridden the first electric train into Gladstone back in 1931, now rode the last, 53 years later. At Dover, parlor car 3454, relettered Lackawanna" for the occasion, was met with a banner that read, "LAST RUN D.L.W. ELECTRICS/Jan. 21, 1931 to Aug. 24, 1984."
In the week that followed, New Jersey Transit killed the power, hauled commuter trains with diesel electric locomotives and added substitute bus service, and made the final conversion to alternating current for the Arrow cars.
To stay on topic, I think the ex PRR lines are still 25 Hz. THere used to be frequency converters (to covert from utility supplied power at 60 Hz) in Metuchen and on the north side of PHiladelphia. Are they both in operation still? Where are the others if any in the NJ area?
 #1612162  by Gilbert B Norman

Getting WAAAY OT at a PRR Forum, but "Father forgive me for I have sinned...."

I had a "ride or two" on the DL&W in this life. I found that unlike the New Haven, along which I grew up, their 3KV MU cars were well maintained. Their intercity trains, such as Phoebe Snow, simply "superb".

After the merger forming the EL, they worked at "flank speed" to have all their passenger equipment at least re-lettered and in many cases re-liveried. I can recall riding Hoboken to Meadville (college interview; I went elsewhere) Dec 1960 in a re-liveried former ERIE 4-6-6 "American--" Sleeper.
 #1612195  by ExCon90

Pumpers, thanks for posting that -- it fills the gap.

An interesting nugget in the link: I was aware that both the IC and the DL&W were the only MU operators displaying train ID on the cars but had no idea that It wasn't just a coincidence. I also thought it was interesting that the DL&W and the Reading electrified their commuter services at the same time using two entirely different systems, but the IC influence explains it.
 #1612238  by pumpers

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:25 am Getting WAAAY OT at a PRR Forum, but "Father forgive me for I have sinned...."

I had a "ride or two" on the DL&W in this life. I found that unlike the New Haven, along which I grew up, their 3KV MU cars were well maintained. . ...
Yes, but the wicker seats were well known to pull threads in the rear of men's suit trousers