Railroad Forums 

• Central Warehouse in Albany, NY (was: Amtrak service temporarily suspended west of Albany)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1611723  by Greg Moore

The title is accurate and the events are covered in the thread: key word is temporarily. Service was temporarily suspended and resumed fairly soon afterwards.

I will note it dawned on m too the other day that I hadn't heard anything since the building had changed hands, but I also don't expect much. As noted, the company that now owns it actually has a reputation in the area for getting stuff done.
 #1611724  by eolesen

Well, the title *was* accurate. Everything since 8/1/2022 hasn't been about Amtrak.

Since then, it's been speculation about how much of a risk Central Warehouse poses to the tracks and it's future.
 #1611751  by STrRedWolf

jcpatten wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:02 pm So ... is there any service west of Albany? I keep hearing about various trains operating in western NY, wondering how they get there.
Service was restored quickly, a few days after the issue came apparent.
 #1611836  by Railjunkie

eolesen wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:11 pm Well, the title *was* accurate. Everything since 8/1/2022 hasn't been about Amtrak.

Since then, it's been speculation about how much of a risk Central Warehouse poses to the tracks and it's future.
Something about Amtrak, the slow orders imposed when this all started are still in place. Over the past few months there has been a small motor barge with a derek for what looks like drilling small test areas in the riverbed on the north side of LAB bridge. Looking for bedrock??? IF a new LAB is built rumor has it going on the north side same as the warehouse. South side would take away the servicing lead from shop along with M of W storage buildings.
 #1611916  by taracer

The Central Warehouse building is north of the current ROW. The new ROW will be slightly north of where it is now on the east side with a slight arc curving back to the current ROW on the west, check out the link. That's why they are taking soil samples north of the current LAB.

The current ROW next to the building will still be used on the west side.
 #1611934  by Railjunkie

taracer wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:59 pm The Central Warehouse building is north of the current ROW. The new ROW will be slightly north of where it is now on the east side with a slight arc curving back to the current ROW on the west, check out the link. That's why they are taking soil samples north of the current LAB.

The current ROW next to the building will still be used on the west side.
Couldn't use the south side suck up too much of the backside of the shop it would kill the servicing lead for sure. I like the renderings showing all this green space between the river and the shop hate to disappoint there isn't much till you get up by the new condos where the old high school was.
 #1611938  by Gilbert B Norman

taracer wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:19 am It's definitely for the new LAB. https://www.dot.ny.gov/livingstonavebridge.
Thank you, Mr. Taracer, for noting the given name of the "LAB". I was at a loss to know the source of this local jargon for the structure, but now I have been enlightened. :-D
 #1612005  by Greg Moore

More on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livingston_Avenue_Bridge Basically it was formerly used mostly for freight.

Once Amtrak started using the Rensselaer station for its Albany traffic, the Maiden Lane Bridge to the Albany Union station was removed.
 #1612025  by Railjunkie

Greg Moore wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:23 pm More on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livingston_Avenue_Bridge Basically it was formerly used mostly for freight.

Once Amtrak started using the Rensselaer station for its Albany traffic, the Maiden Lane Bridge to the Albany Union station was removed.
Close but not quite Maiden Lane was taken down once the construction of I 787 was started along the waterfront. The current Dunn Memorial bridge sits close to where the Maiden Lane was. LAB is the older of the two bridges and was used mostly for freight back in the NYCRR days. Very interesting area back in the day have a conductor I work with whose father worked the towers on the Albany side of the river. For many years there was an operator on LAB who not only swung the bridge open and closed but who had control of the entire ALB Station and yard facilities.

A little info on Maiden Lane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_Lane_Bridge
 #1612411  by markhb

This is America in 2022; you can't build a small footbridge in Schaghticoke for $9.7 million. That's barely going to pay for some consulting engineers to show up and look deeply concerned.
 #1612432  by Railjunkie

Driving home this AM WGY reported work is to commence immediately. I will believe it when I see it and as I see it multiple times five days a week only then perhaps maybe.
Meanwhile 787 is falling apart and there are potholes everywhere but the state ponied up $9.7 million for this