Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1611580  by Drewby27

I've heard from several people that live in Groveton that NHCR was looking at maybe starting a Scenic train and then eventually a passenger train for travel... Again they're probably all rumors but it would be super cool to see a train go through once in a while instead of once every 10-12 months or so...
 #1611582  by NHV 669

And would also require an NHCR pilot, let alone a likely inspection of the tracks and approval from NHDOT again.

Then there would be the issue of having nowhere to run the power around between Whitefield and Fabyans without having it awkwardly run at both ends.
 #1611589  by NHV 669

Drewby27 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:40 am I've heard from several people that live in Groveton that NHCR was looking at maybe starting a Scenic train and then eventually a passenger train for travel...

I've never heard any such rumors, sounds like someone playing make believe.
They have one spare lease unit, no passenger cars or the extra staff needed for such an operation, and operate on a pair of disconnected lines that mostly go through the middle of the woods at 10 mph.

A passenger train to travel where? They don't connect to anyone but the Conway Scenic and SLR (who is freight only), would have nowhere to run a locomotive around between Lancaster and Hazens, and would simply be a weak competitor to an already established operation. Let alone the fact that Groveton to Whitefield would be a half a day trip.
 #1611606  by NHV 669

I had heard a previous rumor of Presby doing something with the remains of the Berlin Branch, and that family has deep pockets; it seems their present focus is on the Cog, and other related businesses/property development.
 #1611691  by Drewby27

Where would Presby link to the Berlin Branch from the Cog? They definitely have deep pockets and would be willing to spend... I also noticed that they put up new RxR Crossing signs in Whitefield by the dairy bar and Jiffy Mart, Maybe there is something going on with that line that we don't know about?
 #1611700  by NHV 669

They wouldn't be connected... I'm talking about two separate ventures. The Berlin Branch train was never more than a rumor. They're actively investing in the Cog as owners.

The two lines once used to connect via a branch from Wing Road that went around Mt. Washington Hotel. That was torn up over 80 years ago.

They probably put up new signs in Whitefield because it's not legally abandoned track.
 #1611763  by NHV 669

I'm referring to the stretch from Littleton east to active NHCR ops. I never heard any official plans, only that stretch was involved. Now that the tracks are gone from Littleton, that obviously isn't going to happen.

The tracks east of Waumbek Jct. were pulled over 25 years ago.
 #1611771  by Drewby27

I knew about the tracks at Waumbeck Junction that's why I was confused... The tracks to Littleton would make sense but wouldn't make sense in regards to having a train go through there... Littleton doesn't have many businesses along the tracks anymore since Hitchners closed.
 #1611777  by Drewby27

I know Hitchner was never a rail user, I was just implying that no business in Littleton would have the use for rail service, A passenger train I don't believe would've made any money so it was a blessing in disguise for Presby that they tore up the tracks in Littleton to Wing Road, does anyone know how far they plan on going with the rail removal?
 #1611783  by Who

I think Littleton would have supported a heritage operation, it has a walkable downtown, museums, restaurants, hotels and B&B's but it's all irrelevant now. It's only a matter of time before the line into Whitefield suffers the same fate. Yeah, yeah, I get it, the line is not abandoned.... you wait, its coming, we all know it.