Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Rebuilding for the Future Updates

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1611690  by scratchyX1

rcthompson04 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:40 am West Chester Borough Council continues their battery powered train study: https://www.phillyvoice.com/west-cheste ... ight-rail/

Glad to see SEPTA notes the obvious problems. Seeing this equipment is not FRA approved, I guess it couldn’t even go into Wawa Station without some sort of waiver.
I imagine a waiver shouldn't be that hard, it's not like there isn't much freight service on the branch.
I guess it would be like a waiver to allow light rail and heavy rail to use the same tracks,
Like is done in multiple cities in europe.
 #1611733  by ExCon90

A lot might depend on where the maintenance is to be done. The expense of constructing and operating a maintenance facility capable of performing required periodic inspections just for a WC-Wawa shuttle would probably be disproportionate to its benefits to say the least and trucking the LRVs to somewhere else is no bargain either. And it would be insane to provide all that for a two-year trial period if that's still what WC has in mind. I hate to even think of moving LRVs on their own wheels to Fraser or someplace under temporal separation (between 1 and 4 am, presumably?) Would be a novelty to have the LRVs confined to the midnight hours instead of the trains, and who wants to be the one to ask Amtrak to concur?
 #1612169  by rcthompson04

So much of this is people with no clue throwing a solution against the wall. The borough council would be better off spending money on a dedicated hourly bus shuttle to Exton or Malvern.

The track condition and logistics of this idea aren't realistic.
 #1613085  by rcthompson04

There are issues with Exton station that make the bus service awkward. Put this money into further station improvements (bus access) and that is a better investment.

Traffic improvements to West Chester Pike would also help the bus service.
 #1613331  by ryan92084

That would require Sunday and hourly service past Malvern to even be an alternative. As someone who lives out that way I'll take a Media line connection as an option over the current Exton schedule that is for sure. Although if Downingtown/Thorndale got decent service i wouldn't need either.
 #1617750  by JeffK

DVRPC has released a study for the proposed Overbrook Intermodal Center incorporating the Overbrook RRD station and an extended trolley Route 10.