Railroad Forums 

• Long Island observation cars - 1920 -40

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1611496  by RGlueck

I remember regular Friday service in the 60's of the two open-end observation cars, "Jamaica" and "Setauket". "Jamaica" was built from a PRR P70 with a used porch built onto it. I understand it remains in preservation (fairly good, too) in Wantaugh. "Setauket" was purchased intact, and became the queen of the fleet until the early 1970's, when it was demoted to inspection car with a name change. It was sold off to a tourist line, and blah, blah, blah.
I want to know if a record exists of observation cars, names, numbers, heritages, fates, which trailed the "Sunrise Special" in pre-war years (1920 - 1942).
Several print of the "Sunrise Special's" keystone drumhead exist, but unfortunately in b&W, due to technology of the time. Is there any record of the paint scheme which was used on that sign?
 #1611499  by railfaned

THERE WAS A LIST OF ALL THE HEAVEYWHEIGHT CARS POSTED BY JHDEASY A LONG TIME AGO. IF I FIND IT I WILL REPOST IT. HE IS A PRIVATE CAR OWNER.
 #1611501  by railfaned

ImagePHOTO FOUND ON- LINE.
Attachments:
Cannonball Obs 2038.jpg
Cannonball Obs 2038.jpg (208.01 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
 #1611512  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: I remember regular Friday service in the 60's of the two open-end observation cars, "Jamaica" and "Setauket". "Jamaica" was built from a PRR P70 with a used porch built onto it. I understand it remains in preservation (fairly good, too) in Wantaugh
Wantagh, NY (February 1984)

#1625747  by photobug56

newkirk wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:53 pm
RGlueck wrote: I remember regular Friday service in the 60's of the two open-end observation cars, "Jamaica" and "Setauket". "Jamaica" was built from a PRR P70 with a used porch built onto it. I understand it remains in preservation (fairly good, too) in Wantaugh
Wantagh, NY (February 1984)

I was aboard The Jamaica today during an antique car show. My first thought, not knowing its history, was that it would have been used for the Cannonball. For a car stored outside, it looked quite good. Would have been nice to have had that air conditioning working today, though! :-)

And yes, there is so much to see inside it.
 #1625820  by workextra

Having seen the car not long ago.
I can verify it’s in very rough shape
And even showing signs of frame failure on the non platform end.
The car was converted to roller bearings by LIRR at some time before retirement
I was told that it may be available to an organization willing to move it at their own cost.
I am not sure to the severity of the frame damage. It appears the car is sagging around the non platform end. Hopefully this can be repaired in the proper environment.

However a nice paint job and some patch work might make a big difference for the car in its current location.
 #1625834  by RGlueck

No railroad car in preservation will last long without regular maintenance, grease and paint. It would be sad to lose "Jamaica" as she harkens a long way back into the era of LIRR name-trains and the steam era.
 #1625991  by workextra

I would hate to see this car be lost.
But unless someone is willing to donate 7 figures plus, it won’t survive without the minimum of maintenance and definitely never run again.

That said, we’re looking at something in the range of a million dollars or so to fully restore the car. Maybe more If it were to be Amtrak certified and have HEP and com jumpers installed
All that would be for naught if the frame indeed is sagging and not the side of the car body around the frame.

Since running on LIRR is not an option the only realistic solution would be to Amtrak Cert it and use it for private car tours and rent it out.
The only other option is to built climate controlled enclosure around it and at lease get it out of the elements.
Both are costly, and Long Island isn’t the place for either.
Prove me wrong guys.
 #1626062  by RGlueck

Losing the "Jamaica" would be a loss of an important Long Island artifact. Sic transit gloria*.

*And not just Gloria, but everyone who rode in the "Jamaica".
 #1626100  by workextra

What’s the likelihood of getting $500k-$1m budget? They may providing a more qualified person can inspect it, be a way to get this car restored.
But there needs to be a serious plan and budget .