Railroad Forums 

• GP40MC Information and Sources?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1611290  by mbrproductions

I have been working on publishing a Wikipedia page about my personal favorite locomotives on the MBTA Commuter Rail system, the (GMD/AMF?) GP40MC locomotives, however, there seems to not be a lot of information regarding the backgrounds of these odd locomotives on the internet. I already know a fair amount of background info on the locomotives, and the fact that the MBTA ordered them to supplement the need for extra power when the Old Colony Lines were to be opened, but I can't seem to find any official sources for any of this information, which are a must-have for a wikipedia page. Can anyone here please provide any extra information on the history and specs of these locomotives, and provide any sources if possible?

- Thanks, mbr
 #1611361  by GP40MC1118

I maintain some extensive rosters for the MBTA fleet including rebuild info, etc. Send me your e-mail address. Got all the former CN numbers, some specs, etc.
 #1611508  by mbrproductions

About the history of these locomotives, did the MBTA order them to add motive power for all the service expansions the system saw in the 1990s (Old Colony, Worcester, Newburyport)? And did the MBTA buy them directly from CN and have them rebuilt at AMF, or did they buy them from AMF?
Answers will be appreciated.
- Thanks