Railroad Forums 

• Union voting update, 2022 contract

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1611171  by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. Zuckie, let us not lose sight that Joe is pro-union, and for that matter so am I. There are two sides and organized labor has theirs as well. Of course in my MILW "Management Training" classes, unions are terrible, but as I got out in the field on assignment, I came to realize these guys on the floor at the Harlowton, MT Engine House care as much about the success of this railroad as do those on the eighth floor of 516W Jackson - and, just maybe, a bit more.

This view was even more fortified by the three years I spent in Labor Relations.

I still think even though as I immediately noted, the Act is exhausted. But with the threat of enacted legislation, the parties will come together and collectively bargain an agreement.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1611173  by justalurker66

It is interesting to see that President Biden is recommending imposition of the post PEB agreement. He stated that both parties (railroads and unions) have agreed to those terms and modifications benefiting either side should not be made by congress.
 #1611174  by John_Perkowski

justalurker66 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:50 pm (Snip) He stated that both parties (railroads and unions) have agreed to those terms and modifications benefiting either side should not be made by congress.
Don’t hold your breath on that…
 #1611181  by John_Perkowski

Well, that did not take long.

Congressional leaders clear the way for a bipartisan bill to avert a railroad strike

But wait, there’s more…

Brief, fair use quote:
But in the Senate, where it only takes one objecting senator to hold up a bill, the emergency rail strike legislation could face new hurdles.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., has already announced he will oppose the bill.

“Just because Congress has the authority to impose a heavy-handed solution does not mean we should,” Rubio said in a statement Tuesday.
And, to make more fun, Bernie Sanders May oppose too.
 #1611184  by west point

zuckie13 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:19 pm Ok, to me this is so easy for Congress to fix. Take the current negotiated deal. Add X days of sick leave. X is like 5. Done.
If congress passes the PEB then management has won hands down,
 #1611185  by Train60

Lots of inside info in this Politico story. Link:
Inside Biden’s decision to halt a rail strike

Fair use quotes
So Biden is pinning his hopes on the Democratic-led Congress resolving the impasse, something that appears likely to happen in the coming week despite grumbling by some lawmakers in both parties. It’s unclear whether they’ll do it before shipments of some critical supplies, such as chlorine for drinking water, begin to shut down this weekend.
 #1611194  by justalurker66

John_Perkowski wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:13 pm
justalurker66 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:50 pm(Snip) He stated that both parties (railroads and unions) have agreed to those terms and modifications benefiting either side should not be made by congress.
Don’t hold your breath on that…
I did not predict the outcome of the issue only that he decided to take the middle road instead of trying to go either way from the agreement that the railroads and unions agreed to and most unions ratified.

Others seem to want to slip something into the agreement. Since none of them are up for election for at least two years perhaps they would be better off passing a bill that averts a strike than make a choice their constituents will remember the next time they can vote. Use this as a "we averted a crisis" moment instead of burning the country to the ground to protect the unions or the railroads.

Still not predicting an outcome ... just hoping for the best.
 #1611196  by eolesen

I can't imagine a less likely set of bed fellows than Marco Rubio and Bernie Sanders.
 #1611198  by ConstanceR46

An exceedingly rare win from Marco. Something has to change, and a strike affecting most of the nation is the only way to do it. I'd rather be forced to deal with less supplies and goods over the holidays than have the current trends continue so we get Lac Megantic 2 but with 3x the cars.
 #1611200  by Railjunkie

eolesen wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:21 pm That statement from the Union wouldn't survive the most liberal fact check.

Sure, they don't get paid sick days, but because of the open nature of crew scheduling on the freight side, anytime they mark themselves off, they've got ample opportunity to make up the work within their hours of service via overtime or the extra board.

They can also apply for RUIA, which offers up to 6 months of 70% sick pay, which is something you don't typically see in any other industry unless the employee pays for short-term disability insurance.

Railroad workers are in the top 10% income earners in the United states. The robber baron line sounds great but just doesn't hold up under a minimum of scrutiny.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Last I looked it was about $72.80 a day 5 days a week. I pay over $250.00 a month for short term disability insurance that has a thirty day run off before they start to pay. Trust me having had 3 separate surgeries were I could not work for three to four months and going this route will put you in the poor house pretty quick unless you have $$$ backup.
 #1611201  by lensovet

I'm not sure what the unions were expecting. We have record inflation. The law allows Congress to force them back to work. It did that in 1991 and again in 1992.

The Labor Secretary said Congress needs to act preemptively…over a month ago. They've been negotiating since 2019, in mediation since 2021, and in the PEB process since July of this year.

How detached from reality do you have to be to think that Congress wouldn't step in given that history? With less than a month to go before Christmas and the busiest shopping period of the year?
 #1611202  by daybeers

lensovet wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:38 am How detached from reality do you have to be to think that Congress wouldn't step in given that history? With less than a month to go before Christmas and the busiest shopping period of the year?
Which reality is that? It seems you think of railroad workers as essential workers. Shouldn't they get paid sick leave, something which every other developed country on the planet requires?
ConstanceR46 wrote:An exceedingly rare win from Marco. Something has to change, and a strike affecting most of the nation is the only way to do it. I'd rather be forced to deal with less supplies and goods over the holidays than have the current trends continue so we get Lac Megantic 2 but with 3x the cars.

ding ding ding! Thank you!
 #1611216  by Railjunkie

lensovet wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:38 am I'm not sure what the unions were expecting. We have record inflation. The law allows Congress to force them back to work. It did that in 1991 and again in 1992.

The Labor Secretary said Congress needs to act preemptively…over a month ago. They've been negotiating since 2019, in mediation since 2021, and in the PEB process since July of this year.

How detached from reality do you have to be to think that Congress wouldn't step in given that history? With less than a month to go before Christmas and the busiest shopping period of the year?
How detached from reality do you have to be to think the Class 1s sat at the bargaining table in good faith?? Are they currently?? One man crews?? For $1000 Alex. Cindy Sanborn let that cat out of the bag during questioning. As a professional railroader (Amtrak BLET) who doesn't fall under this these contract negotiations we never have and never will. However our contracts are influenced greatly by such I want to see them get the best deal possible. Ive said it many times its not about the money its about time off and quality of life.

Rules are rules we as employees are expected to follow them with Is dotted and Ts crossed. Some unions have voted to strike, LET THEM. It will be a shit show anyway with many a unhappy railroader who will get out his "PB" boots or decide to work very very safely or grab his back pay and tell them to kiss my @ss on his way out the door.
 #1611219  by zuckie13

The house is voting on two bills today:

The first is: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... n/100/text
This one implements the currently negotiated deal.

The second on is: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... n/119/text
This one modifies that one to add 7 days of sick leave. How its implemented to be negotiated within 30 days or go to binding arbitration.

If not being able to call in sick is the biggest hold up (and least from reporting I've seen I think it is) - then that may help some union folks cool off over this. Maybe. Also might get Bernie's vote.