Railroad Forums 

• 1940 Thompson CAP NH, CT Uniform

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1611153  by curiousabouttherailroad

My friend, who lives in CT, was in the process of cleaning out her attic and came upon a box left by the previous owner. Inside was a bunch of manuals, books, and pamphlets on the New York, New Haven, Hartford Railroad. There were also two uniforms (only one pictured), buttons say "Thompson CAP NH, CT". If anyone has any information, history, or know if any of this is worth something please let me know. Interested in selling.
 #1611193  by ExCon90

I'm sure there's a market for the New York Central Rules for the Government of the Operating Department, the New Haven timetable, and the New York Central Grand Central Terminal timetable. You might try eBay, or there may be other sites focused on railroad memorabilia. If you offer them for sale, be sure to mention that the latter two are Employees' Timetables (rarer than public timetables, and with much more detail).
 #1611249  by jamoldover

While there is a memorabilia market for the rulebooks and operating manuals, the individual value of each item isn't that much (I'd estimate somewhere between $5-15 each). Remember that there are a lot of them out there (every employee was issued a copy, and a new version came out about every 6-12 months). You could also try bringing them to a local railroad museum and offering them as a donation in exchange for a tax deduction - they might give you a higher value for tax purposes than you could get in cash.

I suspect that the uniforms probably have a much higher value in the vintage/collectable clothing market, but I'm not an expert on that.

Joshua
 #1611265  by Kilgore Trout

If you haven't already, I would suggest posting on the New Haven Railroad Historical and Technical Association forum, who could probably advise you pretty well on the potential value of these items. Agreed that it probably won't be much per item, but there are plenty of people out there who collect this sort of memorabilia.
 #1611300  by NaugyRR

I tried sending a PM but don't think it actually sent. I'm interested in buying the New Haven electric and diesel operating manuals, if you'd like to send me a PM curiousabouttherailroad.
 #1611749  by R Paul Carey

As I recall, the Thompson Cap Co. remained in business at least into the 1970s. They were known for their distinctive "Hickory Stripe" engineer jackets, but their most useful product (IMO) was their corduroy engineer caps - with fold-in earflaps!

If your overalls are in good condition, I may have a use for them.