Railroad Forums 

• Reading & Northern Jim Thorpe question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1610456  by Pat Fahey

Hi All
When my friend & I rode the Fall Special with the Reading 2102 on October 29th , 2022, as the train slowly pulled into Jim Thorpe, I noticed a turntable on the right hand side of the train.
My question to you is this, when I first visited Jim Thorpe, back in July of 1989, I remember seeing a turntable, that was located if my memory is correct just to the left of the station, where the current parking lot is, I believe looking West,.
At that time there were tracks where is now parking lot, what I would like to know is this.
The turntable I saw as we pulled into Jim Thorpe, is that the same turntable I saw back in July 1989, or is it a replacement turntable????
Here is the photo I took back in July 1989, at the location, of the present parking lot, West of the station. thank you , Pat.
 #1611091  by pumpers

To the best of my knowledge, which isn't saying much, the turntable was always north of town (timetable west), north of the North St (Route 903) bridge to the east half of Jim Thorpe (which is across the river), on the west side of the tracks. It's probably a good 1/2 mile from the station. I don't think the current parking lot, which is mostly east of the tracks, goes north of the bridge, but I could be wrong.

By chance, yesterday I came across a web site (from England?) with lots of old maps and pictures of Jim Thorpe (Mauch Chunk). http://www.homauchchunk.co.uk/plans.htm
In the "Plans and Maps" tab you can see the turntable in some of the maps.

JS