Railroad Forums 

• Which North Philly Lines did the Kawasaki's Run on before it got abandoned?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1611031  by WashingtonPark

The only line that was abandoned after the Kawasakis arrived was Routes 6 and 23, which I believe was running PCCs since it was abandoned in pieces. Everything else was gone prior. I believe Routs 15 and 56 are still considered suspended. Route 6 ended in 1986 so it might have used Kawasakis though I only saw PCCS. 60 was done by 1977 before they even arrived.
 #1611166  by WashingtonPark

Silverliner5 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:21 pm What about route 53? and I also found a video where it ran on 23 and 56 and 15 (even though it did last time in 2021)
53 was shut down about the same time the Kawasakis were being delivered. Doubt that they were ever in revenue service on there.
 #1611780  by redarrow5591

They was out on the 50/57 on weekends in the early years, as well as Cameos on the 15, 23, and 56. While they remained strictly to the Tunnel routes during the week, on weekends it was common for Callowhill to send a few cars to Luzerne to fill runs. That practice lasted until the 1992 cuts. After that Kawasakis occasionally made it out to the 51/Welcome Line in Center City and Chestnut Hill until that service ended.

And although technically they are "banned" from the current iteration of the 15 due to ADA, during snowstorms their greater weight makes them ideal for Line Clearing than the PCCs