Railroad Forums 

• Railcar total loss after fire Saturday night in Medina

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1610184  by Scott K

Heard sirens heading out last night here in Albion. Turned on the scanner and...

https://orleanshub.com/railcar-total-lo ... in-medina/

MEDINA – A railcar is a total loss and another suffered minor damage after a fire Saturday in Medina.

A fire was quickly extinguished from a building with plastic totes burning on plastic pallets, the Medina Fire Department stated on its Facebook page this morning.

Firefighters were dispatched at about 7 p.m. to the area of Genesee Street at the railroad crossing, with a caller to 911 reporting smoke.

A Medina firefighter who was first on the scene reported there was smoke coming from a railcar parked behind The Olde Pickle Factory at 711 Park Ave. A crew of Medina firefighters arrived on scene and were confronted with heavy fire coming from one railcar impinging on a second railcar as well as the structure, the Medina FD said.

I was hoping it wasn't that bad.
 #1610330  by DGC-24711

I rode a WNYRHS/Medina Rail Museum train on October 16 and I remember seeing less-than-perfect-looking passenger cars stored on sidings along the way - one of them being a set behind the Pickle Factory. I believe the all-silver cars used by WNYRHS for excursions are kept at the museum. I don't know what the state of the burned out car in the photo was, but I'm just taking a guess it won't stop excursions from happening.
 #1610373  by lvrr325

The car that burned was a former DL&W chair car. Given the cold I'd guess a homeless person started a fire to keep warm and this is the result.

The car looks bad but it doesn't appear to be so damaged it can't be salvaged. Would have to see inside for structural issues to say more.
 #1610989  by charlie6017

videobruce wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:05 am But, were they ok to operate or did they need to be rebuilt or overhauled?
I don't believe either was operational, but I think the DL&W car (the total loss) needed a lot more to make it useable. That said, I'll let others who know more than me fill in any blanks.

Charlie