Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Too Expensive!!!!

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1610540  by eolesen

Well... it is far more expensive in my sample size of two families.

We are taking an Alaska cruise in June, and I toyed with the idea of taking Amtrak to and from Seattle until I saw it was going to be $7,800 for the seven of us to get to Seattle.

That's more expensive than the cruise.

Flying was less than $3,000 round trip, driving would be around $1,500. That's including hotels...

Pretending for a moment that going green is worth paying a little more, it's certainly not worth two to four times the price.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1610594  by Nightjet

Amtrak sleeping car fares are certainly high. Whether or not they’re too expensive is somewhat subjective, but if the prices that Amtrak charges maximize revenues, I guess Amtrak is then making a sound business decision, even if I don’t find the fares to be a decent value. I can fly paid first class for the same price as Amtrak, or less, and flying first class just seems “classier” than Amtrak sleeping car travel.

However, since Amtrak does need public support to get elected officials to get funds for it, I’d think that another strategy- trying to get as many riders as possible by offering as many seats/rooms as possible- would be a good idea. Given that Amtrak has so much overhead but, on many routes, so few trains to split up the burden of that overhead, I’d think that this approach might end up with the same profits or losses as Amtrak’s high-fare/few customers strategy.

So if I were Amtrak, I’d be offering 20-car long-distance trains. Have ultra-first class; regular sleeping cars; budget sleeping cars; premium coach; regular coach; budget coach (perhaps a few old Metro-North coaches), etc. As long as the marginal revenues from a new passenger in one of these new classes of service exceeds the marginal costs by $0.01, it’s worth trying.
Last edited by Nightjet on Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1610607  by Gilbert B Norman

Nightjet wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:32 am So if I were Amtrak, I’d be offering 20-car long-distance trains. Have ultra-first class; regular sleeping cars; budget sleeping cars; premium coach; regular coach; budget coach (perhaps a few old Metro-North coaches), etc. As long as the marginal revenues from a new passenger in one of these new classes of service exceeds the marginal costs by $0.01, it’s worth trying.
That's an interesting observation Mr. Night Jet. To my best knowledge (but can't be sure as such provisions are within a bilateral agreement) Amtrak pays the Class I "hosts" by the TRAIN-mile rather than the car-mile.

However, Amtrak has never operated such since 80's when they emulated the UP's railfan christened "City of Everywhere" with their "Everywhere West" - a one-time CB&Q slogan, which was a combination of the "California Zephyr", "Pioneer", and "Desert Wind".

Finally off topic, but regarding your handle, I almost rode such last August Salzburg to Munich. I had awakened early that morning for Noontime flight home from MUC, and just wanted to "get a rollin'" - especially, owing to the The War, Germany has reinstated a border check. But alas, there within sight of the Hbf, there goes a Night Jet that had originated in Rome.
 #1610672  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Charles River, lest we note that is a "been there done that" without any kind of success.

A list of "the fallen" coming to mind that sold single ride tickets to the public:

American European Express
American Orient Express
Auto Train
Florida Fun Train
Hoosier State
Princess Tours
Pullman Rail Journeys
Trancisco Tours

Now back to the main topic; even though European roads can offer promotions such as that past summer, a €9,00 fare good 2nd Class on Standard (not the HSR ICE) trains anywhere in Germany, the €94,00 ($/€ presently @ PAR) I paid Second Class to ride round trip Munich-Salzburg (125km/78mi) or the €267,80 First Class Salzburg-Bolzano (302km/187mi).

Now Sleeper is not quite so bad when compared with Amtrak. Munich-Rome (914km/566mi) round trip Single Room is, for a Feb journey €498,00 round trip (or Return as they call it over there). If you can live with a six bunk Couchette (did that once quite involuntarily Madrid to Sevilla during '90), the fare is much, MUCH less.

All told, I don't think Amtrak is as "out of line" as does the CNBC reporter.
 #1610702  by jp1822

How are you calculating or comparing the sleeper fare Mr. Norman? Just curious. Munich to Rome, 566 miles one-way, for Euro 498 or 44 cents per mile in US dollars (Euro on par with Dollar, agree!). Taking the Capitol Limited for a round trip in mid-February, in a roomette, I come up with a calculation of 63 cents per mile. That's a 45% increase if taking Amtrak. Sticking to a per mile calculation, round trip it's an additional $220 for roundtrip on Amtrak roomette on just 566 miles....Amtrak's absolute lowest prices all year, by far, is first quarter. Be interesting to see an example in say May or June.....Am I missing or misinterpreting something from your example?

Would love to see say a slumbercoach option on Amtrak - sort of a middle of the road option. Roomette and Bedroom prices on Amtrak due to reduced capacity right now, are the highest that I've ever seen. I don't mind paying the price if I feel I am getting my money's worth. Amtrak falls short on that right now though, despite best effort by Amtrak onboard crews....And I've never seen sleeper class so booked in late October and early November, as just experienced on a recent LD quarterly trip......
 #1610708  by eolesen

The difference in operating cost was staggering. $0.35c per mile for Europe vs. $0.70 per mile with Amtrak?

Considering that Europe also subsidizes its roads and airports along with railroads, it's really hard to see our operating costs doubled here, especially when our energy prices are so much lower. I don't think you can entirely explain away the lower costs per mile in Europe on their higher frequency and more mileage.
 #1610728  by Gilbert B Norman

jp1822 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:01 pm How are you calculating or comparing the sleeper fare Mr. Norman? ...Am I missing or misinterpreting something from your example?
Mr. JP, we seem to be on the same page.

I believe I said Sleeper fares are not quite as bad "over there". You note $.44mi Munich Rome over there vs. $.63mi over here. (again assuming $/€ parity).

As with Amtrak, Night Jet (the OBB entity that by default has become the largest Continental sleeping car operator) their fares vary with supply and demand.

To close with a "comparo"; Easy Jet, a "low cost", quotes $98 each direction MUC-FCO.
 #1610733  by sextant

No Amtrak is not too expansive...Its compeitor Greyhound often charges fares that are twice as much and latley here in White River Juntion VT some days the bus does not show up and no explantiom and n0o refund fo rthe delay
 #1610747  by prokowave

charlesriverbranch wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:13 am Would it make sense for third parties to hook their own cars to Amtrak trains and offer their own sleeping car service?
Every now and then I see small operators doing that for special events here in New Orleans. Just the other day, I saw an offer for a private car trip CHI-NOL for Mardi Gras. $5000 for the roundtrip on the back of the CONO and includes several days stay aboard the car parked in NOL.
 #1610792  by lordsigma12345

Are Amtrak sleeping cars too expensive? I guess that’s a subjective thing. Has Congress ever indicated what Amtrak’s mission should be in regard to sleeping cars? Is Amtrak even required to operate sleeping cars? Some seem to think that the high prices are a betrayal of Congressional content and that they should be affordable but is it? Interesting questions. Although some would probably say if it’s become so expensive I’m refusing a trip than Amtrak is betraying its mission and management must go but again I am torn about sleepers.

It isn’t just about capacity either bucket prices have generally increased and while the prices are certainly going to turn away some passengers who price compare to other modes especially those who are comparing non refundable cattle coach like Southwest with Amtrak sleepers but if they have enough of a captive audience should they or shouldn’t they be pricing as high as the market and their demand will bear? Is it a premium product or a necessary product for overnight service that should be priced affordably? All interesting questions that likely people are going to have different takes on and I am honestly torn. I guess until Congress or the FRA opines on this Amtrak management is free to do as they will.
 #1610794  by chuchubob

Yesterday morning I tried to book Amtrak Keystone Service train 660 from Philadelphia to New York on December 4 to ride the NY Transit Museum's Holiday Train. One seat remained for $38. By the time I added my new credit card to my profile, they seat had been sold and the price is now $86. It's not a total loss; I'll ride NJ Transit's River LINE DLRV from Camden to Trenton and a NJ Transit NEC train Trenton to New York.
 #1610801  by Gilbert B Norman

Think of it this way, Mr. Vogel.

Presuming you hold an Amtrak Guest Rewards card, like so many around here do, and that they recently changed issuers, your experience represents a $48.00 "welcome to your new card service charge" :-D :P
 #1610803  by eolesen

lordsigma12345 wrote: some passengers who price compare to other modes especially those who are comparing non refundable cattle coach like Southwest with Amtrak sleepers but if they have enough of a captive audience should they or shouldn’t they be pricing as high as the market and their demand will bear?
It's timing vs value. People will tolerate cattle coach for a 3-5 hour flight over 1500 miles. They won't sit in coach for a 48 hour train ride for the same price and distance. They will for a 4-6 hour ride, though. And it's questionable if they'll pay 3x for the sleeper that takes 8-15x longer in transit... most won't.
I guess until Congress or the FRA opines on this Amtrak management is free to do as they will.
This is outside FRA and DOT's realm. They're safety agencies.

Congress won't even require Amtrak to be fiscally responsible and cover their dining costs at the farebox... they'll just keep throwing enough money at the problem to keep the peace. It the trains are funded and running, they don't want to know the details like how full or profitable the operations actually are.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk