Railroad Forums 

• Alco C-424/C-636 Retirement/Scrap Dates

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1610791  by shawndoberry

Hello everyone! I was hoping someone might be able to help me with some information here. I am trying to find out the retirement and/or scrap dates for the Alco C-424 units as well as the brutish ex-PC Alco C-636 units Conrail inherited in the merger. I am modeling a "What if..." railroad based on the Burlington Northern (ex-Spokane, Portland and Seattle) operations through the Willamette Valley of Oregon. My plan is to replace the inherited power given to the railroad by BN (mostly Alco units from the late 40's and early 50's) over time with retiring Alco Century units which are being retired by other railroads. As an SP&S fan, I have a soft spot for the Alco Century units they purchased right before the BN merger, so I would love to see some CR/predecessor colors running my rails (well, until Morrison-Knutson rebuilds them). As of now, I have the actual retirement dates for C-424s 2475 and 2494 thanks to Robert Waller's AMAZING Conrail Cyclopedia. Any retirement/scrap dates I could get for the remainder of the C-424 units as well as the C-636 units would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance, and take care.

Shawn Swayze
Alta Loma, CA
Running the fictitious Willamette, Cascade & Pacific Railroad through the heart of Oregon farm and timber country
 #1629412  by shawndoberry

Thank you. That was my assumption. I was just hopeful for something a little more specific. I appreciate the answer.