Railroad Forums 

• Maine Central Steam Locomotive #470 Discussion

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1587495  by NHV 669

I've seen a couple different folks post this week on Facebook but nothing here; the guys at NESCO have successfully reattached the tender frame to its trucks and rolled it back into the shop. Progress!
 #1588073  by RGlueck

The tender frame is mounted on the rebuilt trucks and indoors to protect it from the weather.
This is a major accomplishment. Please maintain your membership and visit NESCO's website for more information.
 #1610400  by RGlueck

Restoration of Maine Central 470 continues to move forward in 2022. Fewer volunteers were able to make the drive to the Hancock shops this year for all the reasons that have affected every group. Despite those issues, significant progress was made on all fronts, including boiler, cab, and tender.
New England Steam can use support with volunteers and funding. If you are ready to pitch in with this restoration, please visit http://www.newenglandsteam.org . Help bring the largest steam locomotive remaining in New England back to regular running.

The biggest change in 2022, refers to the removal of tubes and flues from the 470's boiler. This is being performed by professions and will be followed by needle scaling the boiler exterior and interior. After that, ulta-sonic testing will assess the overall condition of the boiler as a pressure vessel.
 #1610403  by MEC407

Absolutely amazing and impressive progress. I can't help but think of all the people, on this site and elsewhere, who said it couldn't be done and would never happen. It's being done and it's happening. Bravo!
 #1610475  by RGlueck

Remember that 470 is in the hands of active people who are making it happen. Some contracted labor has been brought in. Steamtown has, for whatever reason, unfortunately placed roadblocks before the people dedicated to running 3713.
Make 470's restoration go faster by sending in your membership or financial donation NOW. If you can hot rivet, volunteer to do so. You make the difference in getting the locomotive brought back into service.
 #1624007  by MEC407

News video from Bangor TV station WFVX-22:

https://www.foxbangor.com/news/local/ge ... e9efb.html
 #1624019  by RGlueck

DSC_7901.JPG
DSC_7901.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 768 times
I had not been to the shop since I delivered the new whistles last August, so I was quite interested in what has been taking place. Lots of very positive work is being accomplished.
I'll try to leave a description for each photo:

7899 Refinished and primed parts for the rebuilt cab.
7900 New boiler side cab front is bolted in place prior to the cutting to required windows and control openings.
7901 Smokebox front is repainted to cover rust and prevent weathering. She looks good bt will look even better when mounted on the locomotive.
7904 Right side drive rod bushing.
7905 Scaffold around the boiler where serious repairs are underway. Note the silver area on the left edge of the backhead. This was where Maine Central applied a "wet patch" over a crack. Details to follow!
7906 -7907 Here you see a crack in the boiler steel from the 1940's. Maine Central could get away with drilling stop holes in the ends of the crack, then welding a steel patch over the repair to hold steam pressure. This will be properly repaired to meet FRA boiler standards today, which are far more stringent.
7911 This is the steel patch which has been removed in the NESCO shop.
7910 Looking past the thermic siphons and through the boiler, now that tubes have been removed.

Not pictured:
The tender is further assembled, but in need of intense riveting to complete it. Outdoors was a large pile of removed flues and tubes.
Attachments:
DSC_7900.JPG
DSC_7900.JPG (2.59 MiB) Viewed 768 times
DSC_7899.JPG
DSC_7899.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 768 times
 #1624020  by RGlueck

More images for last posting.
Attachments:
DSC_7911.JPG
DSC_7911.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 765 times
DSC_7907 copy.jpg
DSC_7907 copy.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 765 times
DSC_7906.JPG
DSC_7906.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 765 times
 #1624021  by RGlueck

Last photo upload.

Contact New England Steam Cop. to volunteer and participate in the restoration of this big Maine Central pacific!
Attachments:
DSC_7912.JPG
DSC_7912.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 762 times
DSC_7910.JPG
DSC_7910.JPG (3.4 MiB) Viewed 762 times