Railroad Forums 

• Is the Octararo (West Penn)) railroad still in business?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1610120  by NotYou

?! I think you are conflating and misnaming several things.

The former PRR Octoraro line from Chadds Ford, PA to Nottingham, PA via Kennett Square, PA is still operating under the name *East* Penn Railroad, which is owned by the holding company Regional Rail LLC.

The various incarnations of East Penn never operated in Newark, DE, the southern end of the old Wilmington and Northern is in Elsmere, DE west of Wilmington, DE.

I'm no mod, but this post should probably go in a Pennsylvania board as the Octoraro line is entirely in PA and northern DE is not really Delmarva or DC.
 #1610323  by octr202

The first post-Conrail incarnation of what is today East Penn, the Octoraro Railway, operated the W&N into Elsmere DE but no further. While it did on paper have a connection with Conrail in Wilmington, this was never actually used and all interchange was with the B&O/Chessie/CSXT. This is/was no where near the Chysler plant, and the original OCTR never had any involvement with the auto plant in Newark. The closest it may have come to any involvement with the auto industry would have been scrap metal headed to Coatesville via the W&N.

I could be wrong, but I believe any and all switching at the Chrysler plant would have been NS in the plants final years, and Conrail, PC, and PRR before that.