Railroad Forums 

• Am I Too Much of a Foamer?

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#1608660  by Denver Dude

Last night I was staying in the Hotel Denver in Glenwood Springs, CO. It's right across the street from the UP line. At around 12:30 AM today I heard a loud noise, and when I looked out I saw an eastbound coal train with two locomotives in front. (It turned out to have five). I ran down to the tracks and waited for a while. They shut down the second one, and I went back upstairs. I then heard more noise and went back down. A westbound BNSF train was passing the station.

The EB train has to wait for the BNSF train because it's a single track through Glenwood Canyon.

After that train passed, the UP engineer re-started the second unit and headed up into the canyon. The engines were roaring and I could feel the noise. It was awesome.

I think it was odd that they shut down the prime mover for such a short period. They had to know when the WB train would be there.

Would many other railfans bother to go to so much trouble late at night to catch the action?
 #1608668  by Bracdude181

I guess it depends on the train and what it’s got.

At least your not me, a person who continues to go to his local train line practically every time they run despite other options.

For 3 years and 10 months straight with no sign of stopping.

NOPE. IM NOT CRAZY AT ALL.
 #1609591  by Arborwayfan

I have done almost exactly that. One night I wandered all around Sioux Falls looking for a train I could hear switching someplace from my hotel room.