Railroad Forums 

• Central Warehouse in Albany, NY (was: Amtrak service temporarily suspended west of Albany)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1609406  by STrRedWolf

daybeers wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:10 pm What would you propose as another solution? Doesn't nobody know what's inside and what the building's interior condition is?
There's been initial inspections to shore up the property on the city's dime, which will soon become the county's dime. A full building audit hasn't been done outside of the safety inspection.

I would not be surprised if it's imploded and rebuilt.
 #1609416  by Railjunkie

The implosion thing has been looked at by some of the best building shooters the business has to offer. The answer from all. Thanks, but no thanks. Amtrak's Hudson line hugs the building and is elevated through that area and like LAB bridge is close to if not 100+ years old. Implode the building you will likely take the tracks and superstructure with it.
 #1609426  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Junkie, you and your brethren had best start getting Rules Qualified over Alfred H, because if that structure needs to be demolished by hand one floor at a time, that ROW is going to be OOS for a long time.

I would also guess that Amtrak facilities at Hudson would need be enhanced - just send the bill to the property developers.
 #1609442  by markhb

Does anyone know how the county got involved? The building is squarely within Albany city limits.

But yeah, between years of neglect and likely asbestos (and who knows what else), I doubt it has any useful life left.
 #1609473  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:45 am Mr. Junkie, you and your brethren had best start getting Rules Qualified over Alfred H, because if that structure needs to be demolished by hand one floor at a time, that ROW is going to be OOS for a long time.

I would also guess that Amtrak facilities at Hudson would need be enhanced - just send the bill to the property developers.
Mr Norman,

Once AGAIN IF this is to happen HUDSON will be just a normal stop. All westbound trains will come to Albany. Add an engine to the rear then out the Post Road CP142 to CP187. Change ends, head west on the B&A and pick up the Castleton Sub at MP 191.8 over the Alfred H. through Selkirk yard, Voorheesville aka VO, S. Schenectady aka FG, Rotterdam Jct aka RJ, and finally down the hill across the Mohawk river to CP169 and the Mohawk sub. This is the route and procedure taken by which Amtrak crews are qualified upon.

The Schodack sub from CP 125 to CP SM has nothing to do with this so far. NONE of the training trips have gone over this territory. There are no facilities or space in Hudson for engines changes or fueling. What of the passengers traveling to Albany AND Schenectady??? With the first option its a cab ride Uber or Lyft to get them from Albany to Schenectady. With using Hudson you could have a few hundred people needing transportation or are we talking transferring people and bags to a new westbound train at a station that is not set up for such.

Personally I think there will be a new bridge before that building comes down. I may even be retired before both.
Last edited by Railjunkie on Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1609489  by Greg Moore

I will note that Redburn Development has a good reputation for getting things done and appear to have plans for the building.

On one hand, of the previous owners/interested parties in the building, they're probably the best equipped and financed for doing something.
On the other hand, once they get inside, they may decide that it's simply not worth it.

But, I suspect if they see a chance, they WILL actually follow through.
 #1609500  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:35 am The implosion thing has been looked at by some of the best building shooters the business has to offer. The answer from all. Thanks, but no thanks. Amtrak's Hudson line hugs the building and is elevated through that area and like LAB bridge is close to if not 100+ years old. Implode the building you will likely take the tracks and superstructure with it.
Yeah, I was thinking about that as later on I remembered CDS looking at it and saying NOPE! I'm now thinking it'll be torn down and rebuilt, and they'll have that section of track under Slow orders while it's being done. Still won't be surprised if it happens.
 #1609510  by Gilbert B Norman

Railjunkie wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:49 pm Mr Norman,

Once AGAIN IF this is to happen HUDSON will be just a normal stop. All westbound trains will come to Albany. Add an engine to the rear then out the Post Road CP142 to CP187......
As always, Mr. Junkie, noted with respect.

You're on the ground out there, I'm not.

But do you foresee that anybody's service, freight or passenger, could continue on that line while that hulk is being "demoed"?
 #1609561  by Railjunkie

If its brick by brick I can see the detour route being used for a period of time for Amtrak. CSX only has one or two customers left in Troy plus some liquid asphalt and scrap around Rennselaer proper. The issue is these cars normally come from Selkirk over the Carmen Sub down the hill through W. Albany and over LAB. If the Hudson line were to be shut down for any period of time they would have to come either Selkirk to the Schodak Sub to CP125 for a pilot up to were ever their qualifications begin or Selkirk to the Post Road again with a pilot into Rennselaer. Or the third and most likely CSX choice just not service those customers until the issue is resolved.

CP Rail/D&H I do not think they are going to as friendly to a shut down as the line on the west side of the building that goes under the Hudson line is the only way into and out of Kenwood Yard which serves the port of Albany. Lots of grain, fuel and ethanol.
 #1609680  by BandA

It has to be cleaned up anyway, at some point, regardless of the solution! Previous owner(s) have failed to even sweep up the debris from the fire. Once the debris is removed they can prove that the building is sound & stable. Don't waste money stabilizing existing walls, demo all the track side & probably all the walls. I bet the floors & pillars are in good shape.
 #1611709  by STrRedWolf

lvrr325 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:48 am Went by Dec. 4th and it looked the same as it always has.
I had dropped an article here (or another thread related to this) that the building has changed hands per court order. The old owner did nothing but litigate, so the courts got tired of his shenanigans and yanked the building out of his hands.

Wonder where my posts went...