Railroad Forums 

• Could Superliners Serve Boston???

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1608340  by CNJGeep

JimBoylan wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:00 pm
west point wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:02 pm Low bridges, tunnels, and stations. Is a very long time to correct. Places that IMO that will never be corrected are [snip] PHL 30th street tracks 1 - 8.
Philadelphia's 30th St. Station Track 1 is where Superliners are displayed for Travel Agents' Conventions. But they have to travel via freight railroads East of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Superliners did run via the PH Line in 2015 prior to the Papal Visit to Philadelphia with no restrictions. I have photos of them at Elizabethtown.
 #1609039  by StLouSteve

Boston's South Station is in the midst of another renovation and the recent open air bumper tracks are now fully covered and have been shortened by moving the bumpers a car or two back from the headhouse. Doesn't look like much clearance has been left (although the commuter rail bilevels fit) and the ceiling is quite ugly (parking garage above?). Doubt Superliners would clear the wires and ceiling.
 #1609097  by Silverliner II

StLouSteve wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:42 am Boston's South Station is in the midst of another renovation and the recent open air bumper tracks are now fully covered and have been shortened by moving the bumpers a car or two back from the headhouse. Doesn't look like much clearance has been left (although the commuter rail bilevels fit) and the ceiling is quite ugly (parking garage above?). Doubt Superliners would clear the wires and ceiling.
Not that it matters since all the platforms at South Station are high level, so Superliners are unable to be used there anyway.
 #1609103  by ExCon90

And if you had them originate and terminate at BBY instead of BOS, could they tie up one track long enough to load and unload without messing up the T traffic? I would think not.
 #1609129  by markhb

theMainer wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:25 am
StLouSteve wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:42 am and the ceiling is quite ugly (parking garage above?).
That is going to be the South Station Bus Terminal right above, Boston's main Intercity Bus Station.
The Bus Terminal already exists; the current project (occupying the air rights between the head house and the bus terminal) is an office/hotel/condo tower (although I guess there will be a parking garage in the lower levels):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm3JNciahIM
 #1609134  by bostontrainguy

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:51 pm And if you had them originate and terminate at BBY instead of BOS, could they tie up one track long enough to load and unload without messing up the T traffic? I would think not.
Since Amtrak once "walked" a dome under the Beacon Street bridge and considered the clearance too tight to run a dome on the Lake Shore Limited, I don't think you should try to get a Superliner to Back Bay (15' 10" vs. 16' 2"). However making the planned new West Station the originating station for the Lake Shore Limited would work but probably not an ideal solution.
 #1609173  by west point

soomeone explain the Beacon street bridge restrictions ? What is the topography aso the street surface could be raised along with the approaches to the bridge? If clearances could be raised, Would it be possible for all support be side beams above road surfaces ? That is raised steel side support such as some RR bridges are. ? What is the present height of bridge beams now under the bridge roadway>? Shades of Lionel bridges.

Maybe even a cable stay bridge?

If none of the above possible------
Of course the ultimate absolutely no way. Just change the bridge into a bascule bridge raised whenever any taller train car approaches.
 #1609180  by StLouSteve

Wow, sorry for the topic drift but I am horrified at the rendering for South Station. Reminds me of PC's plans to put a modern skyscraper hat on Grand Central in NY in the 60s.

Very unusual for Boston where historic preservation is usually important.
 #1609184  by Gilbert B Norman

Grief Steve, that is vile.

Isn't that something you'd expect to see at sites subject to "parental blocking"?

Finally, isn't it time simply to label this topic as "fantasy" and move on?
 #1609198  by bostontrainguy

Silverliner II wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:00 pm Not that it matters since all the platforms at South Station are high level, so Superliners are unable to be used there anyway.
To add to the fun fantasy, there is space at the far east side next to track 13 for a low-level platform. That track has a high-level platform on the west side but nothing on the east side.

Note space below 1810:

The plan is to expand South station to the east where the post office building is now so one low level platform could be put in at the far east end if wanted.

And to continue the fantasy, here is a way to eliminate the Beacon Street clearance restriction. Note the arch span notch on the upper left. This was done in the Seaport to allow future doublestack service to Conley:
 #1609200  by Gilbert B Norman

I do thank you, Mr. Trainguy, for your tacit acknowledgement that this is a fantasy thread, for ever since Mr. Carey's report that a Dome was "walked", i.e. on the ground surveillance by Officials, into South Station, catenary has been strung and high level platforms at every station save apparently Schenectady have now been built across NY to Rochester, this means a Superliner train would need be run originating somewhere in the Boston area off BTC and likely on the B&A with only a station stop at Schenectady from Pittsfield to Buffalo. That would essentially mean an additional train along the Water Level Route to Chicago.

Now how, volks, do you think that would land under Chessie's claws and Topper's hoofs?

But now that Mr. Trainguy - far more the advocate than am I - has acknowledged this as fantasy, how say we all?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.