Railroad Forums 

• North Carolina NCDOT-Amtrak Carolinian Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1599457  by MattW

India is running non-well doublestacks under catenary at mainline speed. To be clear, their double stacks aren't even the well cars we use, they're standard height flatcars, with two containers stacked on top, running under 25kV catenary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmNbqGp6KXU This video here looks to be 40-50mph and sources I can find say they'll be running up to 62mph (100km). I admit, they are using 5'6" broad gauge and not standard gauge, but since we use well cars, I imagine the reduced height needed for clearance over here would make up for any reduced stability. But given this, I don't see why a passenger unit couldn't run under double stack-clearance catenary at shared speeds (up to 80mph), with lower catenary on passenger-only higher speed portions. Any at-grade crossings (like I'm sure you'd have in VA and NC) would be slower speed anyways.
 #1599462  by MACTRAXX

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:13 am CSX dealt with catenary just fine on the Trenton Line between West Trenton and Bethayres. Even was good for double stacks. No reason the wire has to be constant tension/high speed. Just build it so that you can eventually convert it to constant tension.
MCG: NO-CSX did NOT deal with the SEPTA catenary on the West Trenton Line between Neshaminy Falls
and West Trenton...The replaced original RDG compound catenary would expand and sag in warmer weather
enough that CSX sought for and got the separation of the two railroads on the northern end of the WT Line...

Building new catenary as constant tension from the start is the PROPER way to electrify with overhead wire...
(Off the NC topic but relevant to the catenary discussion...) MACTRAXX
 #1608570  by Bob Roberts

The Carolinian and Piedmont trains are running at record ridership, with ridership up nearly 15,000 monthly over 2019 figures (an increase of roughly 1/3). "NCDOT sponsored trains have averaged 46,150 riders per month since April 1."

While this article says the 4th Piedmont frequency is coming in 2025, the Carolina's Association of Passenger Trains (CAPT) says the new train will start in Spring 2023.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local ... 41407.html

Separately CAPT reports that Phase 1 of Charlotte Gateway station (tracks, signals and platform) is now complete. The project is now waiting on the private developer to complete (start actually) their work. Projected station opening is said to be 2026.
 #1608882  by Bob Roberts

daybeers wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:46 pm Will phase 1 completion allow use of the new platforms?
Unfortunately there are no plans for that. I don’t believe any pedestrian infrastructure has been built yet and the canopy was not constructed (other than its foundation).
Last edited by Bob Roberts on Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1608883  by Bob Roberts

RandallW wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:53 am This weekend the Piedmont train sets were 8 passenger cars each (one was 6 coaches and 2 cafes and the other was 7 coaches and 1 cafe).
Interesting one consist ran with 2 combi cars, could they be running low on spares in Raleigh?

This weekend was a perfect storm for ridership. In addition to the normal Friday-Sunday college kid traffic. There was a Panthers home game Sunday (and Hornets on Friday), the last weekend of the NC State Fair was running (there is a special fair stop in Raleigh) and the NC BBQ festival was on Saturday in Lexington (also a special stop). So there were events at both ends and the center of the route.
 #1608900  by Bob Roberts

Alex M wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:36 am When the new Charlotte station is finished, what will become of the existing station? How large of a servicing yard and other facilities there will be?
The current Charlotte station was a early 1970s (?) era NS yard office. There is noting about the building or its location that is worth preserving, nor would it be a useful commuter rail station. I suspect it will be torn down. It also had limited track facilities, one of two platform tracks is on the main and the one storage track was not long enough to park a Carolinian consist of more than 6 coaches.

Gateway Station will have a storage facility just to the west of downtown Charlotte. It can be seen here:
https://goo.gl/maps/zmJ2hsRKN6Lm9ju99

Phase 1 of this facility (storage tracks and a crew building) has been complete since 2019. A dedicated, non-NS track will connect it to Gateway station (can be seen adjacent to the main if you scroll to the NE on the linked map). This facility will initially store some protect equipment, overnight space, be a site where cleaning happens, and provide crew rest space. Phase 2 (which is planned) will create a wash rack and some service facilities.

One thing I have never heard an answer to, the Crescent has a refueling stop at the current Charlotte station (in combination with a crew change). Getting a fuel truck up to Gateway station looks to be impossible, and the service yard will require big backing moves for refueling there. So I am not sure where 19 and 20 will get fuel after the current station is closed (79-80 should be able to refuel in the new storage yard since it is the terminal location).
 #1608914  by Gilbert B Norman

Bob Roberts wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:41 am The current Charlotte station was a early 1970s (?) era NS yard office.
Pretty sure, Mr. Roberts, that Charlotte station goes further back than that.

I just completed a Googlemobile drive by, and the building looks the same as what I observed riding SRY 38 Crescent during August '62.

Such was new at that time.
 #1608919  by The EGE

Right you are, Mr. Norman:

https://www.greatamericanstations.com/s ... te-nc-clt/
Located approximately two miles northeast of downtown in the busy Norfolk Southern rail yard, the current Charlotte station was built for the Southern Railway in 1962 to house passenger service functions and railroad division offices. A new station was needed due to a grade-separation project that required the relocation of various railroad facilities.
 #1608943  by west point

Bob Roberts wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:41 am
One thing I have never heard an answer to, the Crescent has a refueling stop at the current Charlotte station (in combination with a crew change). Getting a fuel truck up to Gateway station looks to be impossible, and the service yard will require big backing moves for refueling there. So I am not sure where 19 and 20 will get fuel after the current station is closed (79-80 should be able to refuel in the new storage yard since it is the terminal location).
there could be just fueling hydrants hoses at the new cLT station?. Mayge a location on the new station access track? Any location possible. The UP fueling location at SAN Antonis is used by the sun set locos. Just a couple miles east of the SAS stationo.
 #1609546  by daybeers

Bob Roberts wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:35 am
daybeers wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:46 pm Will phase 1 completion allow use of the new platforms?
Unfortunately there are no plans for that. I don’t believe any pedestrian infrastructure has been built yet and the canopy was not constructed (other than its foundation).
Wow, that's really frustrating. It's been so long! So when will the station be open to passengers?
 #1609567  by Bob Roberts

daybeers wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:58 pm
Wow, that's really frustrating. It's been so long! So when will the station be open to passengers?
[/quote]

I have seen 2025 dates being thrown around.

Unfortunately this station construction project is entirely dependent on a public-private partnership, such things can be awfully flakey in Charlotte, particularly when the direction of the economy is murky. From my (non-insider) perspective the private portion of the Gateway project appears to be stalled.