Railroad Forums 

• Berkshire Flyer: Pittsfield - New York City Service via Albany

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1608599  by STrRedWolf

Greg Moore wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:36 pm I'm not sure how you're getting a Philly in there between Albany and Pittsfield.
Perhaps you're mistaking PIT (Pittsfield) with PGH (Pittsburg, PA)?

Now that said, electrifying from NYP to ALB would be nice, but for other reasons :-)
Yeah, I'm confusing the airport code PIT (Pittsburgh) for Amtrak code PIT (Pittsfield). Also traced the line over... geesh, where's the topological map in Google Maps? :)

I'm with you with electrifying NYP to ALB... and beyond.
 #1608612  by NaugyRR

Yeah, I usually don't have an issue watching the scenery through the catenary poles on the shore, I don't think it would bother me on the Hudson.
 #1608617  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:55 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:36 am Electrifying NYP-ALB?

How dare they obstruct MY view of the Hudson :( :( :(
YOUR view of the Hudson?!? YOU are on a bloody train! It's all over your head! :grinning:
Not talking about the passengers on the train. Perhaps the land owners along the shoreline. A side note MNRR I don't believe is going to hang wire for 80mph trains and NYS is broke so where does the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ come from??????
 #1608651  by cle

Also, south of Croton has the third rail (which I agree should go) - but then it's needed for GCT. AC is better and should be part of a rolling replacement. The Hudson line for this reason should definitely be first, plus for Penn service which is mentioned too.

Wiring Croton to Albany and then Penn to Spuyten (and running bi-modes) might be a bit nuts.

They need to look at the running times and timetabling, especially south of Poughkeepsie, it's painfully slow.
 #1608676  by west point

Yes MNRR is not going to hang wire in New York state. It has placed all its bets on the more operationally expensive third rail DC. So Amtrak would need to do all. An additiona expense will be having to change the DC signaling on MNRR's third rail. That is to make it compatible with both overhead 60 Hz and DC third rail. Have no idea how expensive that would be.

The north river tunnels and NYP all have 25 Hz with DC rail. Cannot think of any location of 60 Hz and DC except the short location of the change of New Haven line from DC to AC.
 #1608695  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:00 am Not talking about the passengers on the train. Perhaps the land owners along the shoreline. A side note MNRR I don't believe is going to hang wire for 80mph trains and NYS is broke so where does the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ come from??????
The land owners on a cliff that would obscure the wires or too far away to even care about the Hudson, if I remember way back when.
 #1608708  by Railjunkie

Sometime Mr Wolf let me tell you a story about a hillside a pool some trees a land owner and how much it cost Amtrak to FIX HER mistakes. Or a rock wall that no one really sees except Gilligan and the Skipper, a court battle with a little burb and lots o cake out of Amtrak's pocket to fix. It really needed to be fixed it was slowly collapsing. I can site more if needed. The people that live along the river want that view just as it is. Be it from 100ft or 10000ft, they do not like nor want change. Unless it improves THEIR view. I think the term was once NIMBY.
 #1608798  by Gilbert B Norman

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:55 am YOUR view of the Hudson?!? YOU are on a bloody train! It's all over your head! :grinning:
Mr. Wolf, riding the OBB from Salzburg to Bischofshofen (on the line to Villach and Italy) the route is laid along the Salzach (Salt) River. If this a "haven't been there yet", the next time you go overseas (presumably for a "rail marathon") be sure to include this ride. If you ride Night Jet #295 Munich-Rome during summer, you will catch this view at sundown - and with a fraulein you have met on-board!!!!

It's spectacular.

However, while not a bother to me, the cat poles are there and some could consider an obstruction. I think you will find that Austria also has their NIMBY faction, but for a tourist, i.e. moi, who's there for music during the Festival and Gruner Veltliner at one outdoor bar or the other, that is not my concern.
 #1608800  by STrRedWolf

That would be an idea, taking two weeks off bookending Eurofurance to travel to Germany... but maybe through Rome or Paris and take the train in to Berlin. I'd need to get the money together for that...
 #1608830  by ExCon90

DB has a double-track line on each side of the Rhine from around Mainz to Bonn, and I've heard nothing of complaints from tourists or residents about "unsightly" wires -- I never even notice them, and I don't suppose many other people do either. They do, however, provide a useful pretext for NIMBYs who can find no better reason to oppose something they don't like.
 #1608834  by Gilbert B Norman

WAAAY OT, so I now see, Mr. Wolf, that your furry friends also gather over there?

https://eurofurence.org/EF27/

I guess riding Amtrak, your costumes are not all that much of an issue, but on a plane?

And getting them back in one piece ready to display?

GBN; (one who has not checked anything with an airline in thirty-five years and never with Amtrak)