Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1607250  by RandallW

photobug56 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:01 am So the question - is there equipment they can buy, mostly off the shelf, that could provide LIRR DM double decker service from diesel country to GCT?
I doubt it:
  • There are no dual mode DEMUs that match the power/platform height/size requirements the LIRR has (that I can find). The only third rail powered DEMUs I can find are pre-1980s British Rail equipment.
  • With the exception of the dual-mode Siemens Charger units on order by MTA for MNCR (with options for CDOT and LIRR), dual mode diesel electric locomotives are designed for overhead, not third-rail running.
  • The Bombardier Multi-Level cars used by MARC and NJT are about the most compact bi-level cars available in the North American market, but they are wider than the C3 cars (If Wikipedia is correct, the C3 cars are about 8 inches narrower than the M7s and M9s; it may turn out that the profile of the Multi-Level cars could work, but I'm not optimistic.
 #1607262  by Jeff Smith

One-Adam-Twelve, One-Adam-Twelve, thread hijack in progress...

We're talking about the new Avelia, not whether they would fit in the ESA tunnels, and not whining about not ordering cars to fit.

SMH.
 #1607289  by photobug56

Jeff Smith wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:51 am One-Adam-Twelve, One-Adam-Twelve, thread hijack in progress...

We're talking about the new Avelia, not whether they would fit in the ESA tunnels, and not whining about not ordering cars to fit.

SMH.
RandallW wrote:As far as I can tell, C3's and the M cars have more or less the same overall width, fitting on the same platforms and tracks.
As far as I can tell, C3's and the M cars have more or less the same overall width, fitting on the same platforms and tracks.

As far as I can tell, C3's and the M cars have more or less the same overall width, fitting on the same platforms and tracks. And the NJT double deckers cars have to fit the same platforms at Penn. Same with A1's and A2's.
 #1607557  by Matt Johnson

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:35 pm
What's interesting is the cafe section. I'm not sure if there'll be a grill or it will be all airline food.
Comparable to the existing Acela cafe menu I would imagine - microwaved burgers and such but no grill. First class has its own food prep area for heating its meals - again, no grill, more like decent airline food.
 #1607698  by Alphaboi

The cafe cars are a stumbling block to Amtrak ordering new bilevels or multilevels. So far when ordering new passenger equipment Amtrak has made a point of allowing wheelchair users the ability to move in between all cars in the trainset (instead of relying on staff to provideat seatservice); that's really only feasible with single-level cars (especially on the NEC). Commuter trains don't have this problem since every car has the same facilities.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

#1607971  by videobruce

A two unity, one car apparent 'special' left the Bridge (NF US side) around 10am this day, went over the Belt Line and went to the NS at CP 437. The power was back to back and one coach. #90 in the lead and I believe the symbol was P120.

Anyone know what's going on and where on the NS it's going?
 #1607986  by videobruce

Why not just have the NS tow them down to Amtrak?
 #1608031  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:41 pm Head End Power, et al.
Let me get this straight: Two engines and a passenger/office car?

Although I got a related question: When they haul the Acela II's down, is there someone(or some folk) in the Acela II's inspecting/monitoring?