Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1608001  by Bracdude181

It’s in Red Bank right now. I’m fairly certain it was used last week to drill Woodhaven.

I’ve been told the issue is with the fuel pump or another fuel system component. This could explain all the white smoke it’s been blowing for the past several weeks. White smoke from a diesel motor is a sign of fuel not being burnt off fully/correctly. Too much fuel being injected perhaps?
 #1608029  by FrontFrank

I saw the mention of Ft Monmouth and had to chime in. You are correct there was a factory in the Farmindale industrial park that made radio receivers. I don't remember the name of the business but them and another company on 79 by Matawan were suppliers and we received many shipments from them. The parts would then be tested for Qa at Monmouth before further distribution.
 #1608041  by JohnFromJersey

FrontFrank wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:45 am I saw the mention of Ft Monmouth and had to chime in. You are correct there was a factory in the Farmindale industrial park that made radio receivers. I don't remember the name of the business but them and another company on 79 by Matawan were suppliers and we received many shipments from them. The parts would then be tested for Qa at Monmouth before further distribution.
Yep, there used to be a lot of industry in and around Farmingdale. Seems like a lot of it has dried up in recent decades, especially after the 2008 Financial Collapse. As I've mentioned before, I remember seeing one of the last Tuesday trains to Gold's Lumber with my dad when I was pretty young.

A few places in the industrial park I could definitely see rail service, however. Here's to hoping C&D can bring back some industrial use of the SOUS/FIT
 #1608042  by CharlieL

@pdtrains I am not familiar with the diesel engines in those locomotives, but let's hope for the best: coolant probably flows to the turbo and/ or the intercooler if it has one. There are probably other things to create white exhaust also. I haven't seen it so can make no judgment. Like I say, hope for the best.
 #1608075  by ccutler

Having inexpensive old clunkers that occasionally have cataclysmic mechanical failures is probably part of their business model. This sort of experience will probably increase as their engine's utilization rates increase, they've probably expected it would happen at some poinit, and they're probably shopping for other dirt-cheap old clunkers on a regular basis.
 #1608110  by Bracdude181

ccutler wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:41 am Having inexpensive old clunkers that occasionally have cataclysmic mechanical failures is probably part of their business model. This sort of experience will probably increase as their engine's utilization rates increase, they've probably expected it would happen at some poinit, and they're probably shopping for other dirt-cheap old clunkers on a regular basis.
But doesn’t that cost more in the long run vs just doing regular maintenance on engines that are in good shape?

Not all their engines are bad fortunately. BDRV 1888 doesn’t have any real issues. Only thing is, it does this weird thing where it seems to stop sending power from the generator to the traction motors for like 7 seconds before going back to normal for about 15 seconds when moving, then repeating in a cycle. Ive noticed that a lot of ex CP rebuilds do this…
 #1608116  by GSC

Forest3670 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:45 am Image 1923 Farmingdale
This Sanborn map of October 1923 really gives a good look at the multiple trackage in and around Farmingdale. Thanks to Forest3670 for posting it. Don;t you wish you could go back in time to see this in person?