Railroad Forums 

• Alstom to Retrofit some M7's into Battery EMU's (Was:M7s at Oyster Bay!)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1603231  by freightguy

It's in today's 7/27/2022 Newsday if someone can link the article to this thread. Seems like it was really an environmental push to rid the LIRR of diesel service. Never mind how many people you can cram in a double decker diesel train train vs driving a car. I guess that's no good now either..
 #1603234  by Pensyfan19

Trains News Wire covered it too. I'm kind of disappointed by this news since I was hoping for the railroad to utilize the benefits of multiple units without using the $18 million per mile price tag to electrify (meaning electrifying the 23 miles between Port Jeff and Huntington would be $414 million).

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... equipment/
NEW YORK — The Long Island Rail Road has scrapped a plan to develop battery-electric multiple-unit trainsets for use on its non-electrified lines, Newsday reports, after determining retrofitting of existing equipment is not feasible.

The LIRR and Alstom announced a partnership to develop and test the equipment on its Oyster Bay Branch in April 2021 [see “Long Island rail Road announces plan to test battery-electric equipment,” Trains News Wire, April 20, 2021]. Two electric multiple-unit cars were to be retrofitted with batteries, with the train running on third-rail power where available and batteries on the non-electrified portion of the route. The LIRR spent $850,000 on the project.

And here is the aforementioned Newsday article.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/tra ... s-kdcsks6w
The Long Island Rail Road will not be able to install batteries on existing trains so that they can operate where tracks are not electrified, as it had hoped to do.

Fifteen months after the LIRR began testing “battery electric multiple units," which would allow electric trains to alternate between being powered by a third rail and by a built-in battery, railroad officials said tests showed retrofitting existing trains with the technology was not feasible.

The railroad performed tests on its Oyster Bay branch, which is not electrified. Railroad officials said the emerging technology could still be incorporated on future train cars.
 #1607876  by Pensyfan19

nyrmetros wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:35 pm So what exactly was the technical issue that killed this idea?
Haven't been on this site for a while, but I spoke with a LIRR employee at a RMLI fair a few months ago and he stated that the batteries would be powering everything onboard the train, which would only give them an operating range of about 13 miles if I recall correctly. Not to mention, extra charging stations and the heavy weight of batteries on MUs affecting existing infrastructure.