Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1600753  by Railjunkie

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:39 pm The Albany portion should be contracted out to Brightline. They'd know how to do it right. All you'd need is something similar to a P32 for the last mile.
No thanks they do not pay as well as Amtrak and I believe they still do not contribute to Railroad Retirement.
 #1601066  by scratchyX1

I'm assuming that the "interurban" company that they are formed as in florida, is for florida business tax/bond laws.
Anyone know if the Interstate crossing Las Vegas operation would be similar, or if the train crews would be railroad employees?
And how much are they really saving by paying into SS, instead of RRR?
 #1601067  by cle

Better for passengers. Brightline have shamed up the legacy passenger railroad.

As I said, I think a second Albany could be more like an outer second/faster Poughkeepsie, but extended. And taking Yonkers and Croton stops off anything long distance, i.e. beyond Albany.
 #1601154  by ExCon90

scratchyX1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:12 pm And how much are they really saving by paying into SS, instead of RRR?
I'm not a numbers maven, but my recollection is that under SS the employee pays ~6% and a bit and the employer the same amount, while under RRR the employee pays ~11% and the railroad the same amount times 3. This was the result of 1) conversion from steam to diesel eliminated a lot of shop employees, and 2) electronic data processing did the same to clerks (eliminating whole floors of office buildings), which reduced the money coming in to the extent that the fund would be wiped out unless the railroads increased their share. If that's not correct, will someone please chime in.
 #1601160  by videobruce

We don't need another southern company running, or should I say 'ruining' things up north!!! Having two of then is more than enough!
 #1607406  by Matt Johnson

Opinion: Amtrak Must Restore Adirondack Service Now!

I'm not sure how endangered this line is, but I get the feeling that things aren't lining up for service restoration. At what point does having NY to Montreal on the map become false advertising, sort of like the "suspended" Sunset Limited east route that remained on the map for years?
 #1607409  by Railjunkie

Its not Amtrak well maybe kinda sorta with lack of motive power and manpower. It is not NYS they wanted service back ASAP. Canadien National is not exactly welcoming with open arms either. Last week crews were to begin the re qualification process to Montreal and Canadien National said NO, do to track work. Well maybe but... There has also been a camera issue. Most if not all Amtrak engines have both inward and outward facing cameras. Canadien National decided Amtrak's were not good enough and in order to come on their property Amtrak needed theirs. Along with the necessary bilingual stickers posted inside of the engines saying smile your on candid camera. Of which there are only two possibly three in Albany as the shop is doing the installs I believe. They are also short on manpower and the new folks are still learning.
 #1607429  by videobruce

Anyone hear about # 63 & #64 to and from Toronto starting back up?
This weekend (10/1/22 Canada is dropping most, if not all of the restrictions finally for cross border traffic 9includimng that stupid Can App or whatever it was called.
 #1607449  by Railjunkie

videobruce wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:16 am Anyone hear about # 63 & #64 to and from Toronto starting back up?
This weekend (10/1/22 Canada is dropping most, if not all of the restrictions finally for cross border traffic 9includimng that stupid Can App or whatever it was called.
That has been up and running for a while. Seen plenty of Canadian brake slips floating around Albany.
 #1607505  by Railjunkie

Matt Johnson wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:25 pm Opinion: Amtrak Must Restore Adirondack Service Now!

I'm not sure how endangered this line is, but I get the feeling that things aren't lining up for service restoration. At what point does having NY to Montreal on the map become false advertising, sort of like the "suspended" Sunset Limited east route that remained on the map for years?
An update from a previous post. The re qualification process has begun as of Tuesday. How long this will take is anyone's guess. I am not sure how many trips Canadien National is requiring. Have heard 10 round trips per engineer behind the throttle. Two engineers per train, regular assignments six men maybe. Then the extra list of twenty might be a bit.