Railroad Forums 

• NY Existing Stations Update

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1619885  by nydepot

Better weather is here and I made a trip out today. One update and two adds.

Updated Saratoga County with photos of the Ballston Terminal Railway station in Rock City Falls (no nettles in the winter and early spring!) and added the Mt. McGregor Railroad station in Saratoga Springs. This station was "lost" for a bit. It was assumed still standing but people weren't sure where. Even the City Historian was not sure. But after asking last summer, she contacted me in March and told me that research on the Berrigan family history uncovered the location of the station. It had been moved by a Berrigan! Thank you Maryann Fitzgerald.

Added the Little Falls & Dolgeville station in Dolgeville Herkimer County. Reading an old book on the line yield a clue it had been saved. The local historian found it for me. Thank you Susan Perkins.

http://ny.existingstations.com/
Last edited by nydepot on Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1620306  by toddsyr

"Also the Syracuse, Binghamton & New York in Homer on Wall St is not long for the world if you want a photo for yourself."

Don't see one on Wall St. Would this be the current police station on James St at Cortland St? That's what the Landmark Society of Homer says.
 #1620308  by toddsyr

Thanks for the link and clarification. Your notes say it was moved. Was it originally where the current tracks are or were the tracks originally in a different location also?
 #1629445  by nydepot

Finished Dutchess County with updated data and photos. NYC Verbank freight house is gone and the CNE Red Hook passenger depot is gone, torn down to build a new business (was a house). Still need an updated photo of the Dover Plains freight house.

Finished Ulster County with updated data and photos. Everything is still standing!

#1632173  by nydepot

Finished updating Dutchess NYC Dover Plains freight house.

Finished updating Putnam, Westchester, and Rockland Erie Railroad New City with new photos and data.

After 3.5 years (started as a Covid project), all the counties outside the NYC boroughs are updated with new photos and data. I have been in all the counties and seen areas I have never seen before and might not again. Some truly beautiful places and some OMG places. Stations on their very last leg and wonderfully restored stations. Thousands of miles and hundreds of stations.

#1632239  by smph50

Charles, Thank you for your dedication to your Website. It certainly is not positive feedback that keeps you going. I know its a labor of love and a gem of information to the Railfan community that should not be taken for granted. Thank you again for all your hard work and hopes for a long future. Sincerely Scott H.
 #1632268  by nydepot

Thanks for the kind words.

It's been since 1996 and this photo update will probably be the last by me. Others still contribute. I received and updated one last week. The bulk of the photos I replaced in the last 3.5 years were from the 1999 timeframe. I don't get much replies from the various forums anymore. They are all direct emails. Amazing the number of people who still go out and explore on the weekends.