Railroad Forums 

• Septa Trolley Modernization - Alstom Fleet

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1600371  by MACTRAXX

PHL: The two photos from Milwaukee show ad PANELS on top...
The green FEAR-the-DEER (Milwaukee Bucks Basketball) ad - my question: Is the bottom color of the pictured
car forest green (meaning that the MIL LRV cars use more than a standard color scheme) or is light brown the
the standard lower car color for the fleet? Using a single color on a given vehicle is simple and cheaper...
I originally referred to THE ENTIRE CAR being wrapped in my response about a K car single color being used...

When SEPTA offers feedback about new LRV color schemes - submit your thoughts there instead of
here on a rail enthusiast forum page - which is just another opinion...I happen to favor the R/W/B
color scheme ongoing - but we will not have the final say about the trolley color scheme chosen...
MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1600373  by jwhite07

Vinyl ad wrap can be applied over anything without regard to the base color underneath. You can put bright yellow ad wrap over a hot pink car and it matters not. In years past the MBTA in Boston often ad-wrapped LRVs which were in dire need of a repaint - the ad wrap went over painted surfaces, rust, and bondo equally well!
 #1600384  by R36 Combine Coach

PHLSpecial wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:44 am I agree, I would love the Trolleys to be distinct from the buses. I'm in flavor of both the line color or pattern.
The trolleys need more of a branding and this is an opportunity to do so
Green striping or accents, given the subway-surface cars are informally the "Green Line", much as MFL is known
to some as Blue Line.
 #1600388  by PHLSpecial

I don't think you would be saving Septa that much money by painting all the trolleys white. Look at trams in Stockholm and Amsterdam. Very simple colors. Who cares about ads on trolleys everyone hates the wraps because of dots blocking the windows. 98% of the fleet will not have ads on it. So Paint it green!

Also I did take the surveys and voiced my opinions on there, I encourage everyone else who is interested in the trolley modernization to take the survey.
 #1600424  by Silverliner5

Here's the link to the survey everyone https://planning.septa.org/projects/tro ... ion/about/

I hope Septa Brings back Route 23 since tracks on Germantown ave have been replaced since 2008 but they should do it in 2 phases which is Phase 1 Germantown to Girard and Phase 2 Girard to 10th and Bigler or broad and Oregon.

Route 56 ROW still exists and should have its own dedicated lanes from broad street to front street (IIRC) and have limited stops
 #1600473  by PHLSpecial

The 56 still has tracks that goes past the MFL a bit. I hope the 56 makes a come back. The 23 should come back but maybe its best to end the 23 route at Broad or Girard.
 #1605933  by Silverliner5

I saw that the MBTA purchased Type 10s so since septa want 160 cars for $800 million it would probably cost about $5 million per car since spending $8 million per car is too expensive
 #1605937  by nomis

That $8mil price tag for the MBTA Type 10 from CAF to manufacture 110 feet of double ended trolley in 7 car sections & doors on both sides. There any be sticker shock, but you are getting a lot more than just a single ended Kawasaki putzing through the city.
 #1605952  by RandallW

If you think of the S70s and the Type 10s as being little more than $1 million per section their prices are roughly the same. I can find S70/700 orders ranging in price per 3 unit car ranging from $3.5-7 million per car, so I don't the Type 10s are excessively expensive.
 #1605988  by RandallW

I went through the list of S70/S700 users on Wikipedia and did some rough calculations if Wikipedia did not spell it out, and (I think) I ignored everything older than a decade, but don't recall which agency I saw that number for.