Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1606246  by ConwayScenic252

MEC407 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:25 am • They had a chance to save the last Maine Central U18B
Solomon doesn’t want that. I know he isn’t the 470 Club but he wants an “EMD-only fleet” on the railroad. Which limits their power they can use.
 #1606252  by NHV 669

That definitely occurred long before he was on the payroll, why would that decision have anything to do with him, especially since he's not part of the club?

Furthermore, why would the club, or ownership let a photographer decide what power the club or RR owns and operates?
 #1606302  by p42thedowneaster

Speaking of motive power...I find it interesting that this year the railroad has gone all 2nd gen power for normal valley operations. What is the advantage of running these engines instead of 573 (or 1751 if re-wheeled?) Do they get better fuel mileage? Are they using dynamic braking in the valley?

Course...
573 is 72 years old (46 when it arrived at Conway Scenic!)
252/255 are both 56 years old
216 is 57 years old
 #1606449  by Cosmo

p42thedowneaster wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:14 am More stainless steel might be heading back to the Mt. Washington Valley??? https://flyingyankee.org/
Way to bury the LEAD!
This is TERRIFIC news!
They state plainly in the bullet points that restoration to OPERATING CONDITION is a priority, as well as using as much original material as possible!
This is NOT the "Gala crowd," ... these are SERIOUS preservationists!
The named VP is a friend of mine with ties to Seashore Trolley Museum.
FY is finally in GOOD hands!

Ok, sorry... now back to Conway. :wink:
 #1606523  by shadyjay

Great to hear! The only issue is how would they run it on CSRR? Could it be "based" in Bartlett and run to Quebec Jct and back? That way, it could be wyed at both ends, wouldn't tie up space in the North Conway yard, and be displayed adjacent to a busy tourist road (Rt 302) when not in service? I know agreements would have to be worked out with the state, who owns (?) the roundhouse site, but they also own the FY, so, win win?
(And yes, the wyes at either end would have to be brush-cut, rebuilt, etc).

Also great to hear about 501 getting some shop time. Would love to see her plying her home rails!
 #1606526  by p42thedowneaster

Guess it depends how often they plan to run the FY....

I imagine the most likely scenario is to run to Quebec jct, turn, and then go all the way to N. Conway....then run a reverse run (without passengers) from N. Conway to Bartlett, turn and reverse again all the way back to N. Conway. Uhgg...

If you can legally have passengers ride the reverse move, then perhaps stop at Bartlett on the return run for a turn on the wye, and then reverse into N. Conway. Probably the cleanest way to do it...

If it's running all the time they might want to engineer a coupler on the rear so they could just drag it to Bartlett with the regular Sawyer's river train, turn, and then drag it back.
 #1606583  by Who

What a week of exciting news this has been between the Flying Yankee and the 501!
For the Flying Yankee, I like how the association is approaching this, they apparently have been working in secrecy for quite some time (at least 16 months), managed to find nearly a half a million dollars in pledges, talk to the Conway Scenic and not one leak (that I'm aware of) that anything was going on behind the scenes, that's impressive! It's pretty clear to me, they focused on studying the projects history and identified where things went wrong and from there formulated a plan in a new direction, that speaks volumes about the associations character, and I think these folks' mean business. A transfer of ownership and moving the train into a building, will allow for two things, volunteers to work on the train with minimal contractor work and a permanent home to protected it from elements for the first time. It's unfortunate the half million in pledges will be gobbled up in the transfer of ownership, the construction of a new building and the relocation of the train and its parts, but I think it will be money well spent. I can't wait until we hear more news.