Railroad Forums 

• Green Line Type 10 thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1606197  by jwhite07

Enclosed, isolated cabs would suggest that fareboxes will be a thing of the past. That is the case in Toronto now, where the new streetcars have closed cabs and no fareboxes. You pay by either tapping a fare card at any door, or you can buy a ticket from one of a pair of small ticket machines located in the car itself. TTC uses Proof of Payment and if you are caught without having paid, the fine is $425.
 #1606349  by bostontrainguy

Commuterrail1050 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:12 pm Is that why lechmere and the new stations don’t have fare gates?
Yes. Saved them money although I don't know how it's being done right now since I don't think the new system is ready. Maybe they have people with hand held validators at the stations? What are all the Orange Line operators doing?
 #1606358  by theMainer

bostontrainguy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:18 pm
Commuterrail1050 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:12 pm Is that why lechmere and the new stations don’t have fare gates?
Yes. Saved them money although I don't know how it's being done right now since I don't think the new system is ready. Maybe they have people with hand held validators at the stations? What are all the Orange Line operators doing?
Validation is handled at the ticket machines. Once you validate you receive a paper slip stated you did so. Enforcement of this is little to non-existant.
 #1606364  by Disney Guy

When an articulated car goes around a curve, portions of the floor go under side panels and/or would be walled off using railings. Imagine that the portions of floor that could get so covered or were so considered off limits were painted yellow as a warning not to stand there. In a Type 10, would the seating areas and the portions of floor not painted yellow hold as many people as two Type 7 or Type 8 cars?
 #1606374  by Red Wing

last I checked everything on the Green Line right now has those same constraints. I'm not sure what the issue is. Personally I like standing where the car articulates.
 #1606382  by BandA

theMainer wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:04 pm
bostontrainguy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:18 pm
Validation is handled at the ticket machines. Once you validate you receive a paper slip stated you did so. Enforcement of this is little to non-existant.
So by the time Charlie Card II is ready, the culture of fare evasion should be well established.
 #1606389  by MBTA3247

Disney Guy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:58 pm When an articulated car goes around a curve, portions of the floor go under side panels and/or would be walled off using railings. Imagine that the portions of floor that could get so covered or were so considered off limits were painted yellow as a warning not to stand there. In a Type 10, would the seating areas and the portions of floor not painted yellow hold as many people as two Type 7 or Type 8 cars?
Articulations are designed so that very little, if any, of the floor passes under the diaphragms forming the side walls. There's no need for any indicators warning people not to stand around the articulation.
 #1606397  by Disney Guy

The fare validation system in its current form would work only for inbound trips originating north of Science Park.

Outbound there would be riders who boarded elsewhere including at Logan Airport where no fare is collected on the Silver Line to South Station. These riders would not have white slips to show to an inspector.
 #1606406  by TurningOfTheWheel

BandA wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:37 am So by the time Charlie Card II is ready, the culture of fare evasion should be well established.
I have bad news for you about fare recovery on the surface branches of the Green Line.
 #1606436  by diburning

BandA wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:37 am So by the time Charlie Card II is ready, the culture of fare evasion should be well established.
You must have missed the study where the costs of complete fare recovery (from station dwell times for surface vehicles) and/or enforcement outweighs letting a little bit of fare evasion go. Larger and smaller transit systems have figured this out, but there are a few systems that are still dead set on 100% farebox recovery.
 #1606460  by ExCon90

True -- I think Philadelphia may be the largest metro area willing to spend a dollar to collect the last dime. There's no reason why POP can't be enforced if the will is there.