Railroad Forums 

• Future of Septa Regional Rail Fleet

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1602487  by PHLSpecial

Interesting there is only one level door from the photo. The interiors looks like the SLV
Hopefully there will be space for bikes and luggage racks.

Seems like we will get half the deliveries this year.

Edit: I'm curious if Septa will pick up more ACS-64 unless Septa plans on retiring the bombardier push-pull cars
 #1602497  by CNJGeep

PHLSpecial wrote:Interesting there is only one level door from the photo.
Quarter point doors. There's no end door on that car at that end since it's a cab car.
First cars next year
Edit: I'm curious if Septa will pick up more ACS-64 unless Septa plans on retiring the bombardier push-pull cars
The most recent plan I heard was:
7 6-Car Single Levels
7 6-Car Multilevels
One spare ACS, just like with the AEM-7s. Actually, one more spare than with the AEM-7s.
 #1602584  by rcthompson04

CNJGeep wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:02 am
PHLSpecial wrote:Interesting there is only one level door from the photo.
Quarter point doors. There's no end door on that car at that end since it's a cab car.
First cars next year
The most recent plan I heard was:
7 6-Car Single Levels
7 6-Car Multilevels
One spare ACS, just like with the AEM-7s. Actually, one more spare than with the AEM-7s.
Nice cars. Any thoughts on what runs would be logical candidates to receive the cars? Doubling the number of push pull runs would be pretty dramatic upgrade. You could cover almost all the expresses with 12 push pull sets in the current schedule.
 #1602621  by CNJGeep

I apologize, I meant to say 6 6-Car Single-Level Consists. There are only 35 trailers.
 #1605934  by Silverliner5

Also, would it be possible for Septa to import some trains from other countries such as the trains I posted before on page 9 cause Amtrak back in the 90s and 70s import European locos so I'm thinking that Septa could import and test the Hankyu 1000 series on their lines before they even purchase one
 #1605938  by eolesen

Not going to happen. Those Japanese cars as-is won't pass FRA testing.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
 #1605941  by Silverliner5

Is it because of the weight of the car or strength of it to be as strong as American EMUs? cause I think septa could actually buy one of those but into their specification to work here in the USA since they're built by hitachi Rail
 #1605953  by RandallW

Existing Japanese designs need to be re-engineered to fit the existing SEPTA system, which would wipe out any advantage of "reuse", starting with track gauge differences, loading gauge differences, to meet FRA crashworthiness standards, and that Japanese passenger equipment is built to exclusively use high level platforms (and likely are sized to a different height high platform than the existing SEPTA high platforms). That re-engineering would erase the cost advantage of importing the design.
 #1605974  by Silverliner5

RandallW wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:16 am Existing Japanese designs need to be re-engineered to fit the existing SEPTA system, which would wipe out any advantage of "reuse", starting with track gauge differences, loading gauge differences, to meet FRA crashworthiness standards, and that Japanese passenger equipment is built to exclusively use high level platforms (and likely are sized to a different height high platform than the existing SEPTA high platforms). That re-engineering would erase the cost advantage of importing the design.
Actually you're right about the Importing part but SEPTA could re-engineer that design with low steps, length to be 85 foot long, and 10 foot wide (although the smallest is Silverliner 4 at 9ft 11 inches wide)