Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1605273  by gamer4616

From what I can tell, Ramblersville was on the Rockaway Beach Branch, just north (Railroad West) of Jamaica Bay.

According to Wikipedia:

The Howard Beach–JFK Airport station was originally a Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) station along the Rockaway Beach Branch. The LIRR station opened in 1913 to replace the nearby Ramblersville station. The LIRR ceased operations at this station in 1950, and the New York City Transit Authority bought the section of the Rockaway Beach Branch that included this station in 1952.

Other info online...

https://ny.curbed.com/2015/2/24/9989218 ... blersville
In 1899, the Long Island Rail Road, opened the Ramblersville station. The community sandwiches Hawtree Creek.

Dave Kellers station history
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrphotos/ ... ISTORY.pdf

OPENED AT 160TH ST.
CLOSED: 4/1913 WHEN STATION STOP RE-LOCATED NORTH 0.2 MILES.
RE-NAMED “HOWARD BEACH” 4/1916
 #1605307  by newkirk

nyandw wrote: Super! OPENED: ? AT 160TH ST. CLOSED: 4/1913 WHEN STATION STOP RELOCATED NORTH 0.2 MILES. RENAMED “HOWARD BEACH”: 4/1916. (SEE “HOWARD BEACH”) from Dave Keller's extensive Station History:
So would Ramblersville be located in Hamilton Beach ?
 #1605345  by krispy

Yes, at least the northern portion of it. It was much bigger at one time, and you can see there was much more there if you kayak the surrounding water. According to former Gateway NPS ranger Don Riepe (if you can catch one of his talks about J Bay, I highly recommend it) the community was one of several small fishing communities targeted by Robert Moses for destruction when he was doing his thing. Ramblersville and Meadowmere made it, The Raunt (also a former station) didn't.
 #1605346  by photobug56

What a mixed legacy RM had. He had immense power to do what he wanted, to destroy or build up communities. He wasn't much of a supporter of transit and commuter rail.
 #1605540  by krispy

One of these days I have to read Caro's book, but yes his distaste for mass transit was legendary. Not just the LIRR but the subway too. East Side Access should've happened decades ago and it took a couple of decades before things got back to a state of good repair. I still have a laugh when I hear of the folks trying to get rid of the National Park Service from Fire Island and the South Shore, after bringing them in to block his Ocean parkway. Now we're hearing of the new tolling plan for midtown and other things (bus lanes, speed cameras) where the impetus is to push folks back to mass transit. Definitely a character, and one of kind.
 #1605546  by Head-end View

I spent several months last year reading Robert Caro's biography of Robert Moses. It's 1100 pages long but well worth the time it took to read it. It's an eye opening history of how a lot of the New York area's public works came to be built the way they were.
 #1605549  by photobug56

krispy wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:19 pm One of these days I have to read Caro's book, but yes his distaste for mass transit was legendary. Not just the LIRR but the subway too. East Side Access should've happened decades ago and it took a couple of decades before things got back to a state of good repair. I still have a laugh when I hear of the folks trying to get rid of the National Park Service from Fire Island and the South Shore, after bringing them in to block his Ocean parkway. Now we're hearing of the new tolling plan for midtown and other things (bus lanes, speed cameras) where the impetus is to push folks back to mass transit. Definitely a character, and one of kind.
LIRR is a long way from a state of good repair. Daily, my inbox fills up with LIRR emails from broken down trains, broken signals, broken switches, and a wide variety of 'Amtrak' problems.
 #1605810  by MattAmity90

My personal favorite, the one I took on July 30th, 2007. Taken at Babylon, with all 3 types at AM Rush Hour.
Looking West (Matthew Kowal). Hot that day!
Looking West (Matthew Kowal). Hot that day!
Babylon2.png (3.38 MiB) Viewed 900 times
 #1605893  by Head-end View

Photobug56, try to control your enthusiasm!

My suggestion: get a job fifteen minutes driving time from your house instead of trying to make an unrealistically long commute every day to the city. If that's not feasible you could actually move back to the City or at least to a location further west in Nassau County where the commute would be much shorter, easier and less expensive. :-D
 #1605943  by workextra

What worked for the workers in the 1950s-1970, being able to escape the city and move to the country (Long Island) frankly don’t work for us today.
The taxes, politics and other major economic factors have priced out you’re average person form LI.
Those of us who remain will forever Ben unable to live here fully and be financially secure.
However we’re trapped, by older family unwilling to leave, working a job that you can’t leave, or other reasons I’m leaving out.
But your minimum household income to get by here has to be 200k minimum a year or you will struggle.
The convenance of what was living comfortable and in a non crowded neighborhood on LI is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Give it time and you will see the the “village of Mineola” vote to rebrand into the “city of Mineola” Hicksville, Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma is slated to follow suit.
With said upgrade your taxes will go up again as additional city services will be required.

As it already is, one town or village spreads right into the next now. There is no separation between communities anymore. Especially in western Nassau. It’s essentially eastern queens, it’s so over developed.

You’re additionally held hostage by the failed Moses roadways, bridges and tunnels which are under the taxing control of MTA/PANJNY. And are plagued with traffic.
There is no direct route out of LI.
And you need to schedule you’re departure times by day of week, time of day, and time and other factors just to go “over seas” onto the mainland.

Is LI really worth it?