Railroad Forums 

• Potential PAR/PAS Traffic Growth

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1605705  by Gilbert B Norman

Thanks Mr. Trainguy; was not aware of such.

If I may ask, whose line did Chessie acquire to potentially have access to that former NYNH&H Readville facility? I was always of thought that she had nothing south of the B&A, but then you live out there and I should best defer.
 #1605707  by Douglasphil

Actually access through Amtrak's Read interlocking is required. old 5 yard is in the NW quadrant of the NEC/Dorchester Branch over and under while CSX occupies the SE quadrant. Also that development is being marketed for light industry and office space, neither of which are likely to use rail. And just for future reference outside of Readville yard itself CSX doesn't own anything between there and Framingham yard. Installing a switch on track owned by other parties is difficult.
 #1605717  by bostontrainguy

Mr. Norman,
CSX runs on lots of track south of the B&A. However note that the lines to New Bedford and Fall River are operated by Mass Coastal at this time and Grafton and Upton is operating between Milford and Franklin:

Readville Yard and this development (shown by a tiny spur to the left) is located at the "X" shown just southwest
of Boston on the map. The left leg of the "X" is the NEC. The right leg is the Fairmont Branch of the MBTA.
 #1605719  by Gilbert B Norman

Wow; thanks for "the enlightenment", Mr. Trainguy.

The G&U to me was a Short Line, just like the Moshassuck Valley, that knew how to chop into a disprotionament amount of a Bill by demanding they are a Line-Haul carrier, as distinct from simply providing a switch.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1605723  by Gilbert B Norman

Yes Mr. Newpy, I understand. But it seemed unfair to me how these Short Line roads, MV, Fore River, and G&U, could chop into an NYNH&H Bill to the extent they did - simply on the strength they had ONE on line industry dependent upon rail service.

Yes, "my MILW", along with any other Midwest "Granger", had captive customers; but we served them - and without having to divide the line haul Bill with some Short Line.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1605726  by newpylong

We are way off topic.

The G&U operates 25 miles, there is no reason that they should not get a portion of the line haul to deliver goods to the terminating customer. Especially when the Class Is have no desire to do the last mile haul themselves. Shortlines have expenses and employees to pay too.
 #1605729  by QB 52.32

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:42 am Planned new industrial park in Readville railyard not to include rail service. Seems like a real miss not to even have a team track.
Readville will likely be next-up for redevelopment and re-location of the traffic driving its operation sooner than later, following the on-going trend, most likely going over onto PAR territory, so doubtful CSX would want to encourage much of anything locating there.

With the full-on pressure of re-development that generates 5-10 times the economic value of freight transportation activity and high demand for housing (and with it transit-oriented development) in turn driving political behavior, more dominos will fall ex-Conrail Worcester & east with PAR strategically helping CSX meet the land challenge that goes with re-locating and reorganizing rail activity in these parts or establishing activity that goes to growth but became limited for CSX with the handwriting on the wall and sale of the B&A Worcester-Framingham, closure of Beacon Park, etc.
 #1605736  by bostontrainguy

Actually this yard and the old Stop & Shop property on the other side (which is showing a surprising increased number of rail cars lately on Google Earth - see image) were both considered for residential development but that use was nixed by the town of Dedham and the City of Boston not wanting the expense of new infrastructure and other necessary requirements like additional schools, services, teachers, etc. So Readville Yard should be safe for awhile.

Stop & Shop is showing more rail service lately. That's MS Walker in the lower left which was displaced by the new Greenline Extension car shops in Somerville:

#1605745  by ProRail

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:58 am So Mr. Newpy, these warehouses being bult along the former Pan Am and apparently without rail access will add nothing to Chessie's Fancy Feast bowl. It appears she already has from Jeff what she is going to get with or without Pan Am.

I know "it's only been a month"; and I assume Chessie has her Traffic men (and women) ringing a few doorbells along Pan Am lines.

Would you know of any business Chessie has picked up along PAR since the acquisition that was not there prior to the closing? Again "I know it's only been a month".
June 2022 to Summer 2023 main goal is to fix all the track infrastructure. Get track speed up to 40 MPH or better. No sense selling service and capacity when the railroad currently is unable to support it.
Jacksonville knows what they are doing with their investment and its a long term plan.
 #1605755  by QB 52.32

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:57 pm Actually this yard and the old Stop & Shop property on the other side (which is showing a surprising increased number of rail cars lately on Google Earth - see image) were both considered for residential development but that use was nixed by the town of Dedham and the City of Boston not wanting the expense of new infrastructure and other necessary requirements like additional schools, services, teachers, etc. So Readville Yard should be safe for awhile.

Stop & Shop is showing more rail service lately. That's MS Walker in the lower left which was displaced by the new Greenline Extension car shops in Somerville.
Yeah, that big jump in traffic going to the buildings once used by Stop & Shop came over from Foxboro (served via Readville) to ultimately make way for residential development. Despite the latest rejection for re-development, thinking in terms of the trends & pressure, relative ease of transferability of the activities and potential catalysts within the strategic (25-year) planning horizon, my take is that the handwriting is on the wall and probably first-up & sooner-than-later.
 #1606476  by BM6569

Broco is former PAR. How about the Everett Coke Works?

"Broco Energy, $334,289 to support improvements to the 81 Hale Street Yard facilities in Haverhill."

"CSX, $499,000 to support the Everett Coke Works Rehabilitation Project, which will aid freight-rail service in Everett;"

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... nts--67518
 #1607097  by mrj1981

Is this the site in Everett that has been the subject of some speculation on this board? Apparently, Davis Companies was under contract to buy the site but just backed out due to concerns over the cost of remediating it environmentally.

It would still seem that a rail-using redevelopment is unlikely here, but still this is a twist worth noting.

https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/mixe ... eal-115530