Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1605701  by p42thedowneaster

^^ well that and the coach windows still do open anyways, so what's the difference insurance-wise? I'm guessing Silver Cascade and Black Mtn are sidelined for other issues we are not aware of.

One thing we can all agree though...if steam is running, you're crazy to buy a ticket in a non-openable window car! Give me the cheapest seats in coach and let the dome sit empty!
 #1605732  by CSRR573

Anytime in take the notch train, I'm always hanging out in the silver cascade to get the full effect. Even better on the return trip! If they do start a separate valley dinner train, where are they going to store it? I feel the yard is maxed out now and I'm afraid of losing some equipment that's been there for ever( silver cascade, Black Mountain, Mt Cranmore?- the valley car thats been oos for ever and the MEC combine)
 #1605758  by NHV 669

Arborwayfan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 am I rode it once, years ago, and the consensus of the railfans and non-railfans in the family was that what we wanted was open windows -- for clear photos, to smell the fir trees, to hear the river, etc. I am much less likely to ride again now that they've decided to make it a sealed, air-conditioned experience.
One recent visitor commented on the new dome acquisition post noting the opposite; their experience was sealed and 90+ degrees the entire ride.
 #1605771  by Who

CSRR573 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:26 pm Anytime in take the notch train, I'm always hanging out in the silver cascade to get the full effect. Even better on the return trip! If they do start a separate valley dinner train, where are they going to store it? I feel the yard is maxed out now and I'm afraid of losing some equipment that's been there for ever( silver cascade, Black Mountain, Mt Cranmore?- the valley car thats been oos for ever and the MEC combine)
They do have changes coming in N. Conway and Conway, that my help with room. We all know about the storage/ function facility that's going to be built down in Conway, but they also have some plain to reconfigure the track layout in both locations. I doubt it will be anything drastic, but I think the plan is to rehab the main line and siding south of North Rd and then extend the same siding north, and reinstall the switch probably close to where the north switch is for the freight house siding. Doing this will allow for longer trains to fit in Conway for events. Also, that same siding on the west side, will have a new switch installed for the new storage building, I think the plan is to have the siding come up from the south.
In N. Conway, I heard they are supposed to reconnect the dead-end track in front of 501, not sure if they will keep the crossover to the main line or make all trains run to the north end of the yard. I also keep hearing rumblings about the first six cabooses being moved onto a new track closer to the tree line, so they can make use of the track they currently occupy.
 #1605773  by BandA

If branches are slapping the side of the train maybe they need to trim them. Have you seen the brush cutting machines the highways use these days? The ones that look like vertical lawn mowers & turn trees into mulch.
 #1605776  by Jonathan

p42thedowneaster wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:44 am One thing we can all agree though...if steam is running, you're crazy to buy a ticket in a non-openable window car! Give me the cheapest seats in coach and let the dome sit empty!
If steam is running, im not even buying a ticket, im chasing all day long.
 #1605917  by ConwayScenic252

Who is Leslie Ann? I haven't heard of them.

No open windows has been a question since Covid, the answer is quite simple: they don't want them used. The Silver Cascade made two appearances last year, one was as an extra coach during when the Governor visited and they needed a coach for the valley train, and the 470 Trip as a waiting area for the photo run-bys. See the connection? It was all because for external purposes and not the purpose of an open air car onboard.
 #1605918  by NHV 669

I understand the trackside clearance concern, having ridden one of the VTR trains up the Pompy (WACR) a few years ago, but those cars still allowed the windows to be opened.

Even more of a shame, hearing that VTR has sold some of that fleet to SMS down in NJ.
 #1605956  by CSRR4266

Who wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:12 pm I'd expect the Hattie Evans to get bounced
The Hattie Evans is the only dining car with a kitchen. Rhonda Lee has a kitchen for cleaning dishes and such, but is not able to cook anything. Not sure about the Leslie Ann, but I would suspect it would be the same as the Rhonda Lee. So don't expect Hattie to get booted any time soon unless you expect dining service to end.
 #1605981  by MEC407

I continue to be fascinated by an organization that named itself after a famous Maine Central locomotive but is only interested in B&M equipment.

Maybe someone should start a club dedicated to saving Maine Central locomotives, and in the spirit of confusing everyone, call it the 4266 Club.
 #1605993  by p42thedowneaster

I was up last week and noticed that the open car, Silver Cascade appeared to be getting some attention behind the shed. I'm not sure if it was just moved out of the way, or if it was being prepped for service...There was someone (hopefully from the railroad) inside it. Caught 252 handling the notch run... looked and sounded great rolling EB at Bear Peak. Also saw on Facebook that Leslie Ann was temporarily re-lettered to CSRR in what looks like the same Burlington font as Rhonda Lee.
 #1606195  by CSRR4266

MEC407 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:46 pm I continue to be fascinated by an organization that named itself after a famous Maine Central locomotive but is only interested in B&M equipment.

Maybe someone should start a club dedicated to saving Maine Central locomotives, and in the spirit of confusing everyone, call it the 4266 Club.
Considering the fact that the club named itself after the last steam locomotive to haul the last scheduled MEC passenger train rather than as a MEC Historical Society, it works to preserve what it can for New England railroad equipment that still survives, which happens to be mostly B&M. Be happy that there is a group working to maintain these efforts rather than be snarky. Look into their history and their about us profile and you might understand this better.
 #1606199  by MEC407

I understand them quite well and am very familiar with their history.

• They had a chance to save the last Maine Central U18B — which was operable, blue carded, and coincidentally also priced at $60K — and when asked, they flat out refused.

• When their namesake steam locomotive was rotting away in Waterville and at risk of being scrapped by the city, they were asked to help, and their response was along the lines of "We could maybe donate a few cans of black paint but we won't do more than that."

But sure, by all means, let's beg for donations for yet another B&M EMD, as if those are the endangered species. 🙄