Railroad Forums 

• Montreal - Portland passenger service, past and future

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1605632  by markhb

The hotel train is back!

Fair use excerpts (note: the site works much better in Chrome than in Firefox):
Proponents suggest a one-way Montreal-Boston ticket would cost about $212.

A 2017 market analysis by Toronto researchers suggested ridership could be about 2,000 daily between Montreal and Sherbrooke.

And there would be a market of up to 1,000 riders daily between Sherbrooke and Boston, the analysis said. But promoters say they envisage an overnight train with a capacity of 120 passengers in sleeper cars and another 70 in coach seating.
The goal is initially to get multiple-runs-per-day service between Montreal and Sherbrooke, then augmented by 1 nightly trip to Boston.
Under the plan, U.S. stops would include Island Pond, Vt.; Berlin and Gorham in New Hampshire; and Bethel, Auburn, Portland and Old Orchard Beach in Maine, before reaching Boston.
 #1605638  by mbrproductions

I like it! But i am not sure with the price for a Boston to Montreal ride and the time it would take to get there via the routing would attract many riders.
 #1605740  by Red Wing

mbrproductions wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:53 pm I like it! But i am not sure with the price for a Boston to Montreal ride and the time it would take to get there via the routing would attract many riders.
Ride times not a problem when your sleeping. I bet a majority of the ridership in the summer will be the OOB crowd. The bigger issue I believe would be a new round trip on the Western along with NEPRA plans due to PTC requirements.
 #1606203  by Sudburian

BandA wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:15 pm BOS-YUL 1 stop, $153 when purchased two weeks ahead
That's not terribly attractive to a Montrealer wanting to spend some time at the beach in Maine. Spending an extra $59 to get the whole family delivered directly to Old Orchard Beach has got to be the selling point. With the train, there's no need to rent a car at Logan and drive up from Boston and no need to cram everyone into a car for most of a day.
 #1606210  by MEC407

Portland had direct flights to Toronto for a few years but they were aboard a 19-seat turboprop and were not exactly inexpensive... needless to say, the service didn't last long. I've always wondered if Portland-Montreal would've been a better market than Portland-Toronto, especially if a more comfortable aircraft was used. Even a lowly CRJ-200 would be a huge upgrade compared to the little mosquito they used for the Portland-Toronto flights.

An overnight train from Portland/OOB to Montreal would be the next best thing.