Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1605523  by ConwayScenic252

Jonathan wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:40 am He had nothing to do with the fire or the tender trucks.
While he had nothing to do with the fire, the tender trucks are his doing. The FRA said he ran the engine too fast and that’s why the tender truck pins were cracked.
 #1605527  by Jonathan

When I was talking to someone who railfans the Conway Scenic often last year, he said those trucks had a crack in them already. The previous owners let the engine run like that, Dave didn't have a problem with it, it was never a problem until someone said last year that the engine was not safe to run.
 #1605533  by CSRR4266

Jonathan wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:42 pm When I was talking to someone who railfans the Conway Scenic often last year
I’d be careful with that knowledge depending on which railfan you spoke with. As there is one the frequents the place and acts like they know everything that is and has gone on there, but knows jack. Secondly, there is no way that the Operations Manager under the previous owner would ever had allowed a tender truck to be run with the damage that it has. He would have sidelined the engine in a heart beat the moment the crack was found.
 #1605537  by b&m 1566

Jonathan wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:42 pm When I was talking to someone who railfans the Conway Scenic often last year, he said those trucks had a crack in them already. The previous owners let the engine run like that, Dave didn't have a problem with it, it was never a problem until someone said last year that the engine was not safe to run.
When something sounds foolish, chances are it is.
The 7470 goes through regular inspections by the railroad and the FRA and when a defect is found, it is taken out of service till repairs are made, plan and simple. The inspections work, an issue was identified and it was addressed, it was not ignored by this ownership or the previous ownership.
 #1605538  by b&m 1566

Jonathan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:27 pm For readers who are looking at this forum, please note that the Conway Scenic Railroad is not in trouble in any way, shape or form. The steam engine is completely safe, the owner would do anything to keep it running for years to come. The precautions that the current ownership put into place (blocking off the yard and platform) are for safety reasons. It's safe to say from hearing recent interviews with the owner of Cabin Fever and the Marketing Manager for Conway Scenic, that both parties enjoy working with each other.

Cosmo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:58 pm THANK YOU!
The constant negging of the railroad, it's management, and it's partners I've been seeing on this thread has been a real TURN OFF. While I get there is always legitimate criticism of any organization (because, man, NOBODY is PERFECT) there's a point- a LINE, and I fear it's been well and truly crossed. Some of the commentary goes beyond bordering on a vendetta and I, for one, WELCOME some positivity!
While the old rule of "if you can't say something NICE..." doesn't always hold up if and when there's legitimate criticism to air, not everybody wants to hear constant negative commentary. It's DEPRESSING! It brings people DOWN and it does NOTHING to help our community!
One of the aspects of the railfan/enthusiast community is how we SUPPORT each other and our favorite organizations. I encourage that and I've seen some GREAT things happen because of it!
Remember: NOBODY likes a "negative Nancy."
Now... let's talk about TRAINS! :wink:

Jonathan and Cosmo, these are the best post I've read in this forum in a long time.
Thank you
 #1605539  by MEC407

Moderator Note:

This isn't the "Only Good and Happy Things About Conway Scenic" thread, nor is it the "I've Got A Vendetta Against Conway Scenic" thread. It's the Conway Scenic thread. Folks are allowed to post their observations and opinions — good, bad, or neutral. All I've ever asked is: keep it respectful, keep it truthful, and keep the rumors to a minimum.
artworks-cpwgt61X5ANuaPYO-KSXgaA-t500x500.jpg
artworks-cpwgt61X5ANuaPYO-KSXgaA-t500x500.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
 #1605639  by Who

WOW! That dome car is beautiful looking on the inside, nicely done!
I am concerned, are they really forcing people who want to sit in the upper dome on the Mountaineer to buy the meal package? I don't know if I like that move, forcing a meal package on people when you have a regular dome car that use to be on the train. I hope they swap the Dorthea Mae and Rhonda Lee and give back the option. It will be shameful if they keep the two dinning dome cars only and I'd expect the Hattie Evans to get bounced, three dining cars seems a bit over kill, especially when you have two sit ins (out and back).
I wonder if they have an eye towards a second Valley train for dining, something similar to the "Essex Clipper Dinner Train, at the Valley Railroad".
 #1605667  by p42thedowneaster

I can definitely understand reserving the Mountaineer domes to diners only. They no longer have guests swapping cars for east bound dining sessions and west bound sessions. The railroad owes it to the meal vendor to provide as many tables as they can handle.
The Dorothea Mae dome is now on the valley train full time as an alternative for non-dining guests to experience a dome car. The price point for the Mountaineer domes (or any first class) is way beyond what families can afford anyways, so they might as well make the most of the premium seats...not only do they have meals, but cocktails are also served as well for the entire ride.
 #1605681  by Arborwayfan

I'm a little puzzled by the decision to make the train through Crawford Notch (the route with the most spectacular scenery) about experiencing a streamliner. I rode it once, years ago, and the consensus of the railfans and non-railfans in the family was that what we wanted was open windows -- for clear photos, to smell the fir trees, to hear the river, etc. I am much less likely to ride again now that they've decided to make it a sealed, air-conditioned experience. (Imagine if the Cog sealed the windows of the cars?) And if more people want to ride the current version than wanted to ride the version with coach cars where the windows opened, then I'm puzzled about people. Why go to Crawford Notch (beautiful and usually pretty cool) and spend five ours inside? Don't people go to NH to do things outside because it's spectacular scenery and not as hot as Boston or NY?
 #1605687  by p42thedowneaster

I agree with the desire to have open window cars as well, but I think the streamline equipment is cool too. The B&M/MEC Mountaineer used the Flying Yankee 6000 with sealed windows and later used ice cooled coaches in standard consist runs when they needed greater capacity. Even if you have 1st class seats you can usually sneak back to coach for a breather where the windows still open. It's especially nice if they have silver cascade in tow or even Hurricane Mt. (the old red coach often used during peak season).
 #1605692  by MEC407

I agree with you, Arborwayfan. I feel like a streamliner experience would make more sense on the Valley Train than the Notch Train.

I can't imagine that the insurance situation is that much of a nightmare, considering how many other tourist railroads in the US operate open-air cars.