Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1605035  by arthur d.

b&m 1566 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:26 pm That makes no sense, why would David be responsible for Cabin Fever losing their restaurant?
Given the labor shortage, if Cabin Fever puts all their effort into the dinner trains, something else is going to give.
 #1605046  by p42thedowneaster

From what I had read, Cabin Fever went all-in on the Notch Train dining. The restaurant was planned to be closed till the end of the train season.

Now surely, not everyone clashes with the new ownership? The trains are running, people are still paying and riding. For the 30 years I've experienced CSRR, there have always been murmurings about management decisions. It's so easy to fall into criticism when you feel invested in a place you love.
 #1605055  by NHN503

p42thedowneaster wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:53 pm From what I had read, Cabin Fever went all-in on the Notch Train dining. The restaurant was planned to be closed till the end of the train season.
Correct, they closed to go 100% on the train. I think it was a poor move, but their results may vary and we will see.
p42thedowneaster wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:53 pmNow surely, not everyone clashes with the new ownership? ...
It doesn't have to be a clash with management. But decisions made by one that affects the other.

And yes, there are always murmurings about management decisions. Find me a place where there aren't and I'll buy you a unicorn. The trains are running, and people are still paying, but at a reduction. Eventually the population of people who haven't experienced it in its current state is gonna run dry. And that's what the majority of our customers are here, random people, not railfans or train nuts. Railfans and train nuts can tolerate a whole heck of a lot more in terms of an experience involving trains than people who are coming from the flatlands looking for in reality something to due to kill their time while they are here.
 #1605214  by Jonathan

For readers who are looking at this forum, please note that the Conway Scenic Railroad is not in trouble in any way, shape or form. The steam engine is completely safe, the owner would do anything to keep it running for years to come. The precautions that the current ownership put into place (blocking off the yard and platform) are for safety reasons. It's safe to say from hearing recent interviews with the owner of Cabin Fever and the Marketing Manager for Conway Scenic, that both parties enjoy working with each other.
 #1605234  by Cosmo

THANK YOU!
The constant negging of the railroad, it's management, and it's partners I've been seeing on this thread has been a real TURN OFF. While I get there is always legitimate criticism of any organization (because, man, NOBODY is PERFECT) there's a point- a LINE, and I fear it's been well and truly crossed. Some of the commentary goes beyond bordering on a vendetta and I, for one, WELCOME some positivity!
While the old rule of "if you can't say something NICE..." doesn't always hold up if and when there's legitimate criticism to air, not everybody wants to hear constant negative commentary. It's DEPRESSING! It brings people DOWN and it does NOTHING to help our community!
One of the aspects of the railfan/enthusiast community is how we SUPPORT each other and our favorite organizations. I encourage that and I've seen some GREAT things happen because of it!
Remember: NOBODY likes a "negative Nancy."
Now... let's talk about TRAINS! :wink:
 #1605284  by Who

I agree the negativity got old, it's time to turn the page.
There has been a lot of positivity this year, a lot of investments are being made in the railroad, tie and ballast trains have been nonstop since the snow trains stop running at the beginning of March. Brand new track equipment and high-rail trucks were purchased, they have a 3rd dome car coming, it should've already been at the railroad, but they've been battling to get the car moved all season long. Regular Steam operations have returned to the railroad for the first time since 2019 and last but not least dining returned to the railroad for the first time since February 2020, when they had operated two dinner trains on Valentine's Day that year.
 #1605455  by NHN503

Cosmo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:58 pm The constant negging of the railroad, it's management, and it's partners I've been seeing on this thread has been a real TURN OFF. While I get there is always legitimate criticism of any organization
The threads are for all aspects of the railroads. The good, the bad and the ugly.
 #1605475  by ConwayScenic252

I do agree that we should keep our opinions to ourselves as we don't want to turn the average customer wanting a train experience away, but I have noticed they have more MoW equipment than operating rail equipment. I don't want a hi-rail truck pulling the notch train or riding a bus pacing the notch train. Oh sorry... the Mountaineer.
 #1605497  by NHV 669

The average customer buying tickets for any CSRX train has no idea this forum/thread exists.... why on earth are we gatekeeping and whining about personal opinions of the operation/management? As pointed out above, that's why this thread exists.

This isn't an echo chamber, there's no need to catch feelings over a dissenting opinion.
 #1605520  by Jonathan

I've seen people reference this forum on the railroad's facebook page, so, what if an interested potential rider comes on here and looks at all the flaws people keep pointing out here? That's why I posted that message saying that the precautions they put in place are for safety reasons, 7470 is safe with the Swirks and it will not be going anywhere else, Dave would do anything to keep that engine running for years to come. He had nothing to do with the fire or the tender trucks.