• Airlines and the NEC

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by west point

The pilot shortage has more to do with cutting some flights on the NEC. From experience. All taxxing counts towards flight time limitations. lthough an extreme example UAL had an over 6 hour delay Thrusday at Newark airport. The crew was OK to continue until they had to return to gate to get more fuel. So then if the flight time + new taxi time + previous taxxi time was over 8 hours they were not legal to continue the flight. Now if they had not had to get more fuel they could have stayed on trip but once they have gone ove 8 hrs and reached a gate they would need a a legal break before continuing any flight.

Say a pilot is going to average 1-1/2 hours New York to WASH / BOS. and will just average 2.2 hours to ATL from those airports the why not use pilots on longer higher revenue flights? Without enough pilots choice seems apparent.
  by STrRedWolf

Another idea to consider (as the coffee is kicking in): They're reducing their equipment.

I'll take an example, my 2007 flight out to Pittsburgh (PGH, or airport code PIT), from BWI. In short, United screwed up a code share with US Airways (as it's wont to do from what I heard at BWI) and ended up being rebooked. My return flight was Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and then Philadelphia-Baltimore.

Philly-BWI was on a Dash 8-300 twin turboprop. I was seated up front, row 1. Had I known, I would of bought ear plugs, because I was basically right next to the left-hand side turboprop.

It was not a fun experience.

US Air eventually merged into American Airlines. I bet they still have those Dash 8-300's.

Knowing more about train travel know, I'd rather American struck a deal with Amtrak so they flew me to PHL and booked a connecting train down to Baltimore. It would of been longer but a hell of a lot more pleasurable.
  by west point

When riding on turbo props if possible do not sit in the seats parallel to the props. The vibration can be very annoying.
  by eolesen

Other than Horizon and Porter, who is still operating turboprops within the US?...
  by John_Perkowski

ADMIN NOTE:

We are not airlines dot net, nor are we LGA fans dot com.

Let’s get back to the relationship of air traffic to the NEC, or this thread will ride the trail to oblivion.
  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote:When riding on turbo props if possible do not sit in the seats parallel to the props. The vibration can be very annoying.
west point wrote:When riding on turbo props if possible do not sit in the seats parallel to the props. The vibration can be very annoying.
I didn't have much of a choice back then. (Granted, years later I was able to get a credit on a flight because it was overbooked, and get off at Reagan National, which you know... WMATA Yellow to Red to Union, Amtrak or MARC back up to BWI.)

That said, 15 years later, taking the train is better off... although I'd wish there was a breakfast stand that was open at 6am in the morning in Pittsburgh!