Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1604395  by scratchyX1

BobLI wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:15 pm I have the same problem.
When I tried looking at it at work, it was refused due to in on a Russian host, before the conflict.
 #1604400  by Kilgore Trout

The current IP address belongs to Optimum, suggesting it is probably hosted out of the owner's home or small business, so maybe he is having some technical difficulties there.
 #1604420  by Allan

Maybe Larry has just given up (the Off Topic forum would drive anyone crazy) or for some reason cannot attend to the issues that might have cropped up.
 #1604422  by STrRedWolf

Kilgore Trout wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:56 pm The current IP address belongs to Optimum, suggesting it is probably hosted out of the owner's home or small business, so maybe he is having some technical difficulties there.
It may be that they're port blocking him for the service he has with them. Their TOS specifies they he can't run a web server on certain tiers and can only run an unencrypted web server in other tiers. Port blocking is common with ISPs.
 #1604705  by Allan

The site is back up without any explanation as to what caused the almost month long outage.

All threads prior to mid-July have been purged.
 #1604748  by Frank

Subchat needs to be moderated badly, particularly Off-Topic Chat. I'm amazed it lasted this long.😣
 #1604765  by MACTRAXX

Allan - Could Subchat have suffered a similar fate as the earlier incarnation of RR.Net did back in 2003-2004
taking note that all previous information and topics before the recent outage are no longer available?
If I remember correctly RR.Net's problem was that the earlier site was the victim of hackers then...
Those that joined in 2004 (you and Bob LI) may remember learning about what the actual problem(s) were
- or were members posting at the earlier site...I did not join RR.Net until 2/7/2005 and was not a member of
RR.Net's earlier forums...MACTRAXX
 #1604771  by Allan

Mac - it is hard to tell with Subchat because the site owner , Larry Fendrick, has never been forthcoming with any issues he has with the site. My impression is that he just lets things happen as they will.

Frank - Larry does nothing in the way of moderating which is why the Off Topic Chat is the way it is. IMHO, the site would be better off with bus the SubChat and BusChat boards.
 #1639500  by Port Jervis

Subchat has been down for weeks again. I think the site is abandoned.
 #1639531  by Allan

You can get to the main page but not the individual forums (SubChat, BusChat, Off Topic). The server could be down for maintenance.
It goes thru this every once in a while. Besides it will be 20 years old come August - its' age is showing.
 #1639552  by jwhite07

Allan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:56 pm Besides it will be 20 years old come August - its' age is showing.
Stated on a forum which will mark it's 20th anniversary in two weeks... :P