Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1602932  by BandA

What does it mean to chuck ballast?

Dress means to add more to level it off, I know tamp means to press it down with force or weight, which is also done with asphalt. I imagine if you wanted to do something with sand ballast & a machine you could vibrate it somehow or vacuum it up and reapply, neither would work well unless your railroad is built on a sand deposit. If you put gravel on top of sand I would imagine you would get a lot of settling.
 #1602937  by Safetee

chucking ballast is a lost science and probably called other things in different places. it'used to be used when ever you were working with fines like sand, cinders, and pit run gravel ballast.

after you've raised the track to the point where you want it with jacks, it takes at least two individuals armed with true ballast shovels (an endangered species of track tool), working on opposites sides of the tie. initially establishing a slot on both sides of the tie by back blading against the tie, then reversing the shovel using your best foot you cram the sand or other ballast under the tie inserting.the toe of the shovel under the tie in the process compacting the sand as you work along the side of the tie with your team mate. after it's all properly packed. drop your jack/s and dress it off. .

chucking ballast is amazingly effective. you can insert a 3 foot 1/4 inch diameter stick under the bottom of the ties, chuck it, drop the jacks, and if its done right it's hard to remove that stick.. because you're primarily using your leg to tamp the material it take much less energy to surface track this way than using tamping bars or forks in stone.
 #1602989  by ConwayScenic252

Looks like the issues Swirk has been having finally got to the attention of YouTube- a friend of mine made a music video with the carnival theme and Conway Scenic footage. It was taken down. I’ll edit this post later when I get the reason why.

Edit: an 'employee' said he could get in trouble if someone else saw it.
 #1603136  by Calebharris39

Has anyone heard anything or any updates on what's going on with the Bartlett roundhouse.? I drive by almost daily and the society and work just has seemed to dissaper
 #1603171  by ConwayScenic252

Calebharris39 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:13 pm Has anyone heard anything or any updates on what's going on with the Bartlett roundhouse.? I drive by almost daily and the society and work just has seemed to dissaper
There hasn’t been any work since Swirk bought the place.
 #1603210  by Who

The Bartlett Roundhouse and all the surrounding land is owned by the state of NH and the Bartlett Preservation Society, has an agreement with the state to help raise funds to restore the building. Because the snowplow and box car are not owned by the state, volunteers are allowed to work on them but restoration work on the roundhouse, can only be handled by paid licensed contractors. I know the state allows volunteers to clear brush as needed on the property and they might have even allowed volunteers to paint the exterior but that's about it. Like everything else, work stopped when Covid hit, and the society has been nonexistent since.
 #1603642  by NHV 669

Whoever told him to take it down was probably trying to avoid it garnering too much attention. It doesn't help the poster's case that he didn't last a full week working there.
 #1603664  by NHV 669

He did, for about two days.

Regardless, it's just heavily edited/filtered shots of normal CSRX movements, not sure why that was the choice to add the circus music to.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1603672  by superwarp1

I was up there two weeks ago. I really liked those freight trucks under 7470 tender. :P It's been a few years since I've been there (last time being right after Dave purchased the place). Seems the exterior of the cars need some TLC, the place needs to be picked up, junk as in Old equipment everywhere. Station needs a paint job and really not a fan of all the chained off areas and you can't access the platform until right at boarding. We stayed at the Eastern Slop Hotel so we got to see the operations all week. People were doing maintenance just about every night after hours in the round house. I rode the Conway behind 7470 and the Sawyer run. Both trains were late. The Sawyer run had diesel issues (engine 255) which required Dave to remedy before we left. Here's a video if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT4cQhF ... augetrains
 #1603849  by ConwayScenic252

NHV 669 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:07 am He did, for about two days.

Regardless, it's just heavily edited/filtered shots of normal CSRX movements, not sure why that was the choice to add the circus music to.
You’re confusing him with a guy with a similar channel name.