Railroad Forums 

• Central Warehouse in Albany, NY (was: Amtrak service temporarily suspended west of Albany)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1603597  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:16 am To follow up, just as well Amtrak has decided to maintain rail service for most of the Ethan Allen. While likely you know first hand, Mr. Junkie, the Rutland RR "is no Corridor", but US 7 has got its "issues" as well. I drove it last May - nothing more than I had to - to my 60th Reunion at South Kent School - and from what I've learned from a family here with a kid who has gone to Champlain College in Burlington, "it's no bargain" up there as well. What remains unclear is whether 448-449 "New England States" will remain a "busteetoot" after Chessie completes her trackwork, or if the train will be restored BOS-ALB with a "busteetoot" to Hudson (too lazy to look up the Station Code).

Still think Amtrak will get a "railfan bump" to ride over the Alfred Holland.
At one time I was fully qualified to take a train to Rutland, the D&H was fine never felt super comfortable running between Whitehall and Rutland just never did it enough. Never caught the job much off the list. One section is relaid welded rail and a MAS of 60mph it parallels RT7 quickest 2 miles up there the rest of it was all between 25 and 40mph. Might be better now I will never find out no interest.
Yes Rt 7 is not a fun ride growing up had a great grandmother who lived in Bradford VT, just go to nowhere then keep going a few more miles we use to take what my Grammie would call the good road home which was Rt4 from their to Rutland makes Rt7 look good.

Once CSX gets done with the track work on the B&A I would think it will still stay a busteetoot Boston to Schenectady as it is now. AMT 48/49 currently are turning in Schenectady until further notice. Like I have mentioned in previous posts all trains from NYP will come to Albany making their normal stops along the way. Those going west will detour over the Post Road to the bridge then out the Selkirk sub to the Mohawk sub, this should start by the end of the week if not sooner.
 #1603607  by taracer

Railjunkie wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:04 pm
taracer wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:53 am Agree that all the things that post brings up won't happen, and Bull Run is OOS at the least. I won't say abandoned because I made that mistake in another thread. The switch on the CP side is removed, the parts are still sitting there, but off to the side and it is straight tracked. The line is severely overgrown as well.

I don't want to doxx myself, but it will take two crews to pilot from CP187 on the B&A to CP169 on the Mohawk.
Yes it will, the regular assigned train crew and the pilot crew. I think the drop off and pick up point will be Amsterdam. I'm not sure how many pilot crews they want to have currently there is one crew qualifying the territory.
I mean it will take two pilot crews. Very few B&A crews are qualified west of Selkirk and vice versa.
 #1603632  by STrRedWolf

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:12 pm More update: Local news claiming "service restored" but honestly, it could simply mean the bustitution is in place.
https://wnyt.com/top-stories/amtrak-ser ... -restored/

Not believing it's fully restored until Amtrak confirms.
The Times Union did mention that the emergency repairs were to fix falling and loose concrete around the stacks. That must of been done.

Amtrak says service to be restored Tuesday/Wednesday: https://twitter.com/AmtrakNECAlerts/sta ... 3PuyYy_lzQ
 #1603649  by Railjunkie

west point wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:34 pm Demo willprobably require hndreds of dirty dirt trains Had forgotten about lead paint. Absolutely. Now where to bury the dirty dirt.
Have you forgotten about the dirty dirt out of the barge canal use to see gondolas filled with it at Ft Edward. Lead paint aint got nothin on what they dredged up.
 #1603651  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:35 pm
Greg Moore wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:12 pm More update: Local news claiming "service restored" but honestly, it could simply mean the bustitution is in place.
https://wnyt.com/top-stories/amtrak-ser ... -restored/

Not believing it's fully restored until Amtrak confirms.
The Times Union did mention that the emergency repairs were to fix falling and loose concrete around the stacks. That must of been done.
Amtrak says service to be restored Tuesday/Wednesday: https://twitter.com/AmtrakNECAlerts/sta ... 3PuyYy_lzQ
That was taken care of on Sunday. There still is talk of the possibility of putting up netting or some type of fencing to prevent more issues. Kinda like the stuff they use on rock cuts on highways.
 #1603659  by hrsn

The Times Union got a hold of the engineering report for the building. "Imminent collapse" seems a reasonable conclusion, given the photographic evidence of deterioration. In fact, it reads like the building is *already collapsing*, just in slow-motion with chunks at a time. (Note photograph #30 in the report, which shows an already failed portion of the southern parapet wall [roof enclosure].) Photo #25--with the tail end of a passing Amtrak train, so taken before the closure--is pretty alarming. The engineer gets real specific about what to do about it: tie back the whole southern exterior wall.
https://www.scribd.com/document/5850908 ... ery-Street
 #1603680  by Safetee

The reprieve such as it is, is wonderful. But, that building is a mess and, it won't be resolved any time soon.

it might be a very good time for amtrak to scout out developing and constructing a viable northwest passage without a huge failing building waiting to fall track side.
 #1603818  by STrRedWolf

Safetee wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:34 am The reprieve such as it is, is wonderful. But, that building is a mess and, it won't be resolved any time soon.

it might be a very good time for amtrak to scout out developing and constructing a viable northwest passage without a huge failing building waiting to fall track side.
5 years to get to this state? No, the owner is neglectful, plus still has taxes to pay on the property (but hasn't). Yank it out of his hands, tear the building down, and sell the property for redevelopment.
 #1603824  by NYCRRson

"5 years to get to this state? No, the owner is neglectful, plus still has taxes to pay on the property (but hasn't). Yank it out of his hands, tear the building down, and sell the property for redevelopment."

Ah yes, all we need to do is have the gubermint take over the property and all will be perfect....

Buffalo Central Terminal ended up in the estate of the bankrupt Penn Central Railroad, later Conrail. The gubermint took it because the taxes where not paid. Then the gubermint sold it for the tax bill to an individual (cheaper than paying to demolish it), Then that individual defaulted on the taxes and it got sold again....

The Railroad which was broke could not afford to tear it down and the City of Buffalo did not want to spend the money to tear it down. So it's still there, some folks are doing admirable work to preserve it.

The cost for the gubermint to demolish this building and "redevelop/sell" the property is more than likely far in excess of the value of a parcel of property that size in Albany.... If the gubermint could make money out of this situation they would have pounced on it years ago...

Look up the story of a White Elephant....

Noun; A possession that provides few benefits and is an inconvenience or a financial burden to maintain.

This building is a white elephant, anybody that touches it will spend gobs of money with no, I repeat NO return on their investment.... Not sure why the current owner bought it, maybe they have a profitable business and wanted a tax loss that could be deducted from their income ??

The City of Albany according to all accounts is trying very hard not to acquire Title to this White Elephant...

Not sure why you think the gubermint can fix all problems.....
Last edited by NYCRRson on Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.