Railroad Forums 

• Central Warehouse in Albany, NY (was: Amtrak service temporarily suspended west of Albany)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1603403  by NaugyRR

Here's the story from the Times Union...
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 337788.php
Fair Use:
An Amtrak spokesman said nothing had fallen on the tracks and that the move was a precautionary measure. Chunks of concrete from the Central Warehouse could be seen near the tracks, and city codes officials were at the property Friday morning.
 #1603405  by Safetee

i like the movie on you tube by times union from march 2021.it kind of tells the story about a building that shouldn't be. no question the building has to go. who pays the 20 million or so to make it happen is the question that hasn't been answered yet. i think it's safe to say that a lot of lawyers are going to get very rich in the process.
 #1603406  by NaugyRR

I'm curious if Amtrak is going to go after the owner of the building, since the the city hasn't actually seized the building from him yet. $500k in back taxes may be the least of his issues now.
 #1603407  by Railjunkie

The walls on that building are approximately 3ft thick this is not the first time this has happened with debris on or near the tracks. Ten trains went by that location and I do not believe any took exception. Take some time to dive a little deeper into this story.
Amtrak suddenly found out about this yesterday around 900pm Talking to one of the LAB operators I know who in turn called the on duty operator and asked WTF he said he could see no police or fire department presence. Perhaps this was all discovered after all the paperwork was filed from the court case, which the owner of the building lost. That just happened to be held 07/28/2022??? City is going to foreclose for back taxes. Owner filed a $1.5 million case in Federal court for not being properly notified . Sour grapes???

There is debris all over the place the question becomes is this new debris or old debris
 #1603415  by scratchyX1

Safetee wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:14 am i like the movie on you tube by times union from march 2021.it kind of tells the story about a building that shouldn't be. no question the building has to go. who pays the 20 million or so to make it happen is the question that hasn't been answered yet. i think it's safe to say that a lot of lawyers are going to get very rich in the process.
20 million to remove it? Isn't this something army corp of engineers could be used for?
 #1603420  by Mackensen

I'm on 291 (29) and the communication about the bus bridge, both before boarding and on board, has been excellent. I don't know if they're planning to continue busing while they get this resolved or if it's just to try and save the first day of operations.
 #1603435  by twropr

LSL 48 shows on Amtrak.com with no dept as of 9:34 pm CST. Should be interesting to see if the train is turned in Schenectady (there is a wye on the CP/D&H), or if the power is back-to-back and runs around the train.
Andy
 #1603439  by STrRedWolf

A bit of a news roundup:

WNYT: Crumbling Central Warehouse halts nearby Amtrak service in Albany
WRGB: Portions of Central Warehouse eyesore facing 'imminent' collapse, suspending rail service

Bus Bridge from Schenectady looks to be Erie Blvd to i-890 to I-90 to Albany's Washington Avenue to Broadway to Herrick Street and then the station itself.