• Trains and operations in Browns Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pdtrains

All this speculation about Stiles st yard is pretty funny. When ur new idea starts with "lets run more freight on the NEC" , id say u just have too much time on your hands.

I cant see Stiles st yard being used for anything other than car storage.

Otherwise, i think whats going to happen in the hear future looks pretty much stated...fix up the SOUS and FIT and rebuild freehold farmingdale. How fast? probably sooner than later. but whatever.

Id bet the extra GP-9 (752?) will go to the Southern, as the short runaround at lakewood is a huge PITA and waste of time...and running pull-pull is nothing new to the C&D
  by Bracdude181

Today’s SA31

CSX 4405
BDRV 752
3 cars for Woodhaven.

Permission on Church 3:07 PM
  by Bracdude181

Permission to open up 3:30 PM
  by Bracdude181

Lined and Locked normal 3:42 pm
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:16 pm Today’s SA31

CSX 4405
BDRV 752
3 cars for Woodhaven.

It's quite hilarious to me for some reason, how Woodhaven will get a dozen or more cars one day, and like 3 the next. And then a dozen or more the next time!
I wonder if DRRR will just use 752 to take it down to Woodhaven, since it's already connected, and give 2005 a break. Can someone get pictures of this unique SA31 train? Quite interesting to see a two engine consist with 3 cars.
  by Bracdude181

Pictures will come later. There’s a lot of activity in Red Bank right now. Refer to the DRRR topic for more.
  by AceMacSD

pumpers wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:32 pm Then, there is a "back door" from Stiles St Yard to the Chemical coast (heading compass south, timetable west) on the Chemical Coast (is the Chemical Coast officially called Garden State Secondary?) So DRRR, Raritan Central, etc, could perhaps pick up and drop off their cars there at Stiles St yard using this back door to the Chemical Coast.
You might be on to something there...
  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:13 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:16 pm Today’s SA31

CSX 4405
BDRV 752
3 cars for Woodhaven.

It's quite hilarious to me for some reason, how Woodhaven will get a dozen or more cars one day, and like 3 the next. And then a dozen or more the next time!
It all depends upon how many cars are in transit and where they are on the system.
  by Bracdude181

@pumpers In RCs case I don’t see why don’t use the old LV line as their back door to the Garden State Secondary. (Current name of the Chemical Coast Secondary) isn’t that closer to them?

While I could see C&D using it I’m not really sure why they would. Partly because of the fee NJT charges for freight to use their track. 50 cents for one loaded freight car to go one mile or something like that.

For the 1.8 miles to Browns, no big deal. It quickly adds up the farther down NJT you go however!

@AcemacSD Yes, but does the new twice a week schedule not at least partially alleviate that? It’s something Woodhaven has wanted for quite some time.
  by pumpers

If I had read (or more importantly remembered) AceMacSD's posting more carefully, I would have noted that it says CR "traffic would come out of OI by use of the garden state [secondary]. We would not put extra freight traffic on Amtrak even if its a more direct route".
I think this would require a reverse move to get to Stiles St Yard from the GS Secondary (assuming no new connection is built), but it is consistent with pdtrains' comment about staying away from Amtrak. JS
pumpers wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:32 pm While we are speculating and dreaming, here is some more foam, involving 2 semi-obscure branches connections.

Suppose Conrail dropped off cars for DRRR, Raritan Central, and any other operators in the mid NJ area at Stiles St Yard, using the NEC to get there from Oak Island (sort of the equal of CR using the NEC now to get to Metuchen, but much shorter distance on the NEC, and maybe staying on the same track and not having to foul all the Amtrak tracks twice, perhaps currently crossing all the way over and then back again, although I really don't know how they do it.)

Then, there is a "back door" from Stiles St Yard to the Chemical coast (heading compass south, timetable west) on the Chemical Coast (is the Chemical Coast officially called Garden State Secondary?) So DRRR, Raritan Central, etc, could perhaps pick up and drop off their cars there at Stiles St yard using this back door to the Chemical Coast.

Second, there is an unused (not sure if officially OOS) connection from the Chemical Coast just north of Perth Amboy over a short stretch of the old LV Perth Amboy branch (the original LV freight main in NJ) into an active rail-served business park, connected to what at one time was called Heller Biz park or similar. The larger complex of tracks has a modern name I can't recall. I think Raritan Central serves it. From there you can get to the Metuchen branch and Metuchen yard, etc, w/o going on Amtrak. (I think that is how cars get to RC now, coming the other way on that branch. So that takes care of ME-2, Raritan Central etc.

Regarding DRRR, if (and a big if) they had rights to get from Browns Yard over the Raritan River Bridge to the Chemical Coast (which would involve 2-3 miles over NJT, probably requiring PTC, admittedly), then they can get to/from Stiles St yard for interchange with CR as well.

So these freight short lines could interchange w/ CR at Stiles St Yard on the NEC, w/o going on the Amtrak NEC or NJT (except for DRRR on the Raritan River bridge). They would need rights on the Chemical Coast, etc, which is CR.

OK, I'll put on my flak jacket and you can start shooting me down
JS
  by Bracdude181

Have not heard anything about SA31 today. Did they or anyone else run to Red Bank today??
  by Bracdude181

I’ve been informed that SA31 is tied down in Red Bank. Unsure if they’ll get a crew to bring it back.
  by Bracdude181

Apparently SA31 is leaving Red Bank now…
  by JDRails

Can anyone confirm whether SA-31’s Dayton schedule has changed? Is it still Tuesday and Friday PM? Thanks in advance.
  by Bracdude181

Well, Monday and Thursday they go to Red Bank. I heard from someone else in Conrail that they might’ve changed it to Monday Wednesday and Friday for Dayton but have yet to confirm.

I know someone who’s more familiar with the Dayton run. I’ll ask him.